Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT) presents the
at this year's Colorado State Fair, August 23 - September 2, 2019, in the Palace of Agriculture.
The attention-grabbing Kilo Car carries a provocative
message for drivers to shed light on Colorado's growing auto theft problem and the link between auto theft and other crimes: Your stolen car is about to go on a drug bender.
The Kilo Car reminds drivers to protect their investment by reducing their risk of auto theft with a common sense tip: lock your car.
unique Kilo Car display
is based on a frequently stolen vehicle, rebodied with materials that look to be different types of drugs. The display represents the shocking truth that auto theft is a precursor crime and a significant safety concern for the whole community.
CAAT created the Kilo Car to educate Coloradans about the serious consequences of auto theft, and the importance of prevention in deterring auto thieves.
- Auto theft is on the rise across Colorado: Up 9.4% from 2017 to 2018. (ATICC)
- Stolen cars are frequently used in the commission of other crimes: 97% of adults charged with auto theft are charged with additional crimes, such as armed robbery, identify theft, home invasion and drug crimes.
- Nearly half of all vehicle theft is due to driver error: Auto theft is often a preventable crime when drivers lock their cars, take their keys with them, and don't leave vehicles running unattended. (NHTSA)
Friday, August 23 - Monday, September 2, 2019.
Colorado State Fair, Palace of Agriculture.
CAAT coalition task force members will engage with attendees about the serious issue of auto theft, have conversations about the importance of prevention, and hand out tip cards.
The Kilo Car is presented by:
- Beat Auto Theft Through Law Enforcement (BATTLE)
- Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT)
- Colorado Auto Theft Investigators (CATI)
- Colorado Auto Theft Prevention Authority (CATPA)
- CATPA Metropolitan Auto Theft Team (C-MATT)
- Colorado State Patrol (CSP)
Photo and video opportunities are available at the Coloradans Against Auto Theft booth in the Palace of Agriculture. Kilo Car photos are also available by request to Annie Coghill at 303-547-6692 or
To request a media interview, please contact Annie Coghill at 303-547-6692 or
Useful Links: lockdownyourcar.org
About Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT):
CAAT is a statewide auto theft prevention initiative to raise awareness about the problem and educate the public on what they can do to reduce their chances of falling victim to auto theft. CAAT is part of a coalition of law enforcement agencies, including the Colorado State Patrol, the Colorado Auto Theft Investigators (CATI), insurance partners, LoJack and AAA Colorado. In 2018, Coloradans Against Auto Theft (CAAT) was honored with the Leadership in the Prevention of Vehicle Crimes Award for successful efforts in combatting auto theft through public awareness and prevention education by the
International Association of Chiefs of Police
(IACP). CAAT and the state auto theft task force efforts are funded in part by the Colorado Auto Theft Prevention Authority (CATPA).
About Colorado Auto Theft Prevention Authority (CATPA):
CATPA is a state authority that was established by Colorado statute in 2003 to help reduce Colorado's serious auto theft problem through the award of grant funds. The Colorado law helps ensure that auto theft prevention efforts are targeted. These efforts have resulted in an increase in stolen vehicle recoveries and criminal prosecutions of hardcore and major organized criminal groups, as well as related crimes.