We are pleased to provide an update on our vibrant community of students, faculty, and alumni at the Electrical Engineering Department at Columbia University. This semester, we are back at full speed! Professors, staff and students who are fully vaccinated were able to return to campus at the beginning of the Fall semester for in person classes and research. Our faculty, students and alumni continue to make an impact in their research fields.
A few faculty highlights in this month's newsletter include:
- John Wright was selected to co-lead a new NSF research institute to accelerate AI discovery
- Harish Krishnaswamy’s startup, MixComm was acquired for $155M
- Zoran Kostic, Gil Zussman and team have been awarded a $1.2M NSF grants to improve traffic management in real time
We also have a number of alumni and students that have been honored with awards including:
- PhD students Yinghao Li and Ali Zare won the Best Paper Award at the 2021 Interspeech Conference
- PhD student Kaylx Jang won the award for the Synopsys’ 2021 Robert S. Hilbert Memorial Optical Design Competition
- Alumnus Berk Birand Raised $9M to bring explainable Machine Learning to industrial manufacturing
My best wishes for a successful Fall semester!
Ioannis (John) Kymissis
Kenneth Brayer Professor of Electrical Engineering
Chair, Electrical Engineering Department at Columbia University