June 5, 2020
To: Clerks of Session in the Presbytery of Western North Carolina
From: Cam Murchison, Stated Clerk of PWNC
Re: Sessional Records review in 2020
As you all know far too well, the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted plans we had for a series of occasions when clerks could gather to consider matters of mutual concern and undertake supportive review of one another's session records. Since those occasions have typically been done at close quarters and with a couple of people working head to head, it is simply a procedure we cannot practice this year.
The alternative we will use harkens back to my elementary school days when the teacher would occasionally let class members grade their own test papers as the teacher read out the correct answers. With that hazy memory, we will use the following procedure for reviewing sessions records this year.
- Each clerk will gather the 2019 Session minutes for her/his congregation.
- No later than September 15, 2020, use the attached checklist to review your records as follows:
a. Write the name of your church at the top, indicating "2019" as the year
b. For each item on the list check "yes" or "no."
c. If "yes," in the column labelled "comment" indicate one instance where the item can be found in your minutes.
If your minutes are numbered with consecutive pages, just indicate a page number.
If your minutes are not numbered consecutively through the year, indicate the date of the meeting where an instance of the item is found.
- If "no," provide any explanation you may want to share in the column labelled "comment."
- In the same column labelled "comment" add any comments you would like to make regarding any item.
- On the reverse side of the checklist-or on another sheet of paper if you prefer-make a note of any issues you have encountered with any items on the checklist. Especially if some are not clear and the parenthetic references to the Book of Order do not clarify them, please let us know what may need more explanation.
- If specific questions arise as you work on the checklist, feel free to call me on my cell number (404-556-8041). I'll be happy to help, or to find the help needed.
So that we can certify 100% compliance with the review of Session Records at the October 2020 meeting of Presbytery of Western North Carolina, please complete the checklist and return it to me
by September 15, 2020
, either by
- Email to(email@example.com), or
- Regular mail: 114 Silver Creek Road, Morganton, NC 28655
Thanks for being willing to work on session records in this altered format this year. I know we all look forward to a time when we can gather face-to-face.