Friday, April 28th, 8am - 11:50am, is our schoolwide Service Day. All students and staff, along with parent/guardian volunteers have the opportunity to learn from and provide assistance to some of the people who have dedicated their lives to creating meaningful change in our city.
In keeping with St. Barnabas and Office of Catholic Schools’ mission of transformation, growth, and service to the community, we intentionally collaborate with organizations all across the Chicago area to give our students the gift of sharing meaningful encounters with people from many different backgrounds.
Starting this school year, students will no longer be grouped by grades on Service Day, allowing them to experience the many developmental benefits of mixed-age learning.
Parents/guardians will have the opportunity to select from various service locations. Some service work will be completed at St. Barnabas and some will be off-site around the Chicagoland area. The list of service sites is still evolving slightly, but a working list of sites is detailed below.
The number of available spots for each service site is limited and will have some age-level parameters. A sign-up link will be sent out in late January. Parents will sign up their child for the preferred site in advance. Please be mindful that signup is first come, first serve, so if your child is very passionate about a particular cause, signing up in a timely manner will be wise.
We look forward to another wonderful Service Day, embracing our faith, and serving others.
SERVICE DAY SITES
- Animal Welfare League, Chicago Ridge
- Avantara Rehabilitation Center, Evergreen Park
- Bell-Haven, Morgan Park
- Birthday Project, at St. Barnabas
- Blessing Bags for Catholic Charities, at St. Barnabas
- Burst Into Books, Roseland
- Chicago Fire Department, at St. Barnabas
- Chicago Furniture Bank
- Creative Chicago Reuse Exchange
- Envision Unlimited
- Friends of the Chicago River, Calumet River
- Growing Home, Englewood
- Neat Repeats, Worth & Orland
- Precious Blood, Back of the Yards
- Pro Labore Dei
- Pullman National Monument, Pullman
- Ronald McDonald House
- Share Your Soles, Pullman
- Smith Village, Morgan Park
- Universal School, Orland Park