irst Baptist Church
1001 Bedford Avenue
Altavista, Va 24517
Dr. Michael S. Lee
Director of Music
Terry Finch, Chair
Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers and sisters, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing.
I Peter 3:8-9
But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.
- What rises within you when you consider the compassion of the Lord for you personally?
- How might the Lord's compassion for you anchor you in his love?
- Where has your attention been drawn to recently (issues, events, people) where there is a need for compassion?
- Do you ever feel internal resistance or obstacles to being moved with compassion?
- Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced the compassion of the Lord directly or through other people.
- Ask God to enlarge your capacity to move with his compassion on behalf of others.
- Make a commitment, when you are next moved with compassion for another, to ask the Lord for wisdom and then respond with concrete action, being willing to offer both prayer, time, presence, or resources.
Compassion is sometimes the fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live in someone else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can really be no peace or joy for me unless there is peace and joy for you, too.
People may excite in themselves a glow of compassion, not by toasting their feet at the fire, and saying, "Teach me compassion," but by going and seeking an object that requires compassion.
Henry Ward Beecher
Compassion costs. It is easy to argue, criticize and condemn, but redemption is costly, and comfort draws from the deep. Brains can argue, but it takes hearts to comfort.
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
O Lord, your compassion is far greater than my capacity to receive it or to give it. Enlarge my heart that I might be able to embrace those who suffer spiritually, emotionally, physically or materially. Help me not to pull back from discouragement or fear or judgement. Move me from deep within to love others extravagantly and so reveal your glory that is yours alone. Amen.
Our Core Practices
Christ has no body on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion for the world is to look out; yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good; and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.