Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Weekly Update: Wednesday, November 7, 2018
From the Headmaster Mr. Brent Johnson
Psalm 100 English Standard Version (ESV)
A Psalm for giving thanks.
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.
Dear Saints Family,
It is a great time to be a Saint! I am incredibly proud of the outstanding start to our school year, as our community has been blessed with tremendous success. I am grateful to each of our teachers, coaches, athletes, and performers for the hard work and dedication that they have invested in preparing for these successes:
- To our upper school band for their outstanding Reformation Day chapel performance
- To our middle and upper school bands and choirs for the hard work they have invested in preparing for our Christmas concert that is just a few short weeks away.
- To our Chapel and Praise Band for the wonderful work they have done leading music for our chapels and for our Concordia Prep Sunday at First Lutheran Church in Towson.
- To the cast and crew of The Great Gatsby and their memorable performances over the weekend.
- To the parents who lead and support our Saints Athletic Booster Club whose hard work has improved our campus with a service day and raised funds for our teams.
- To our middle school boys and girls soccer teams for their hard work and dedication for improvement. This bodes very well for the continued development of Saints soccer.
- To our varsity and middle school cross country teams for their commitment to improvement and representing CPS well! We wish them the good luck as they prepare for the MIAA Championships on Thursday afternoon.
- To our fall cheerleading club for their hard work and performances at our home football games.
- To the members of our volleyball team for their commitment to working hard, improving each week, and always representing our school well as they compete.
- To the members of our varsity girls soccer team for having the best regular season record in school history and for an undefeated regular season conference schedule.
- To the members of our varsity football team who also had the best regular season record in school history and who will compete this Saturday for a 'C' Conference Championship.
- To the members of the varsity boys soccer team for winning the first MIAA 'B' Conference Championship in school history this past weekend and being ranked #15 in the final Baltimore Sun poll.
As you can see we have a great deal of positive momentum of which to be excited about and thankful. We look forward to a successful conclusion of the fall season and the beginning of an exciting winter.
To God Be the Glory!
Concordia Preparatory School
The Great Gatsby
Congratulations to the Concordia Prep Theatre Department for their outstanding production of
The Great Gatsby
last weekend under the direction of Producer-Director Mrs. Joy Johnson and Assistant Director Mrs. Jenifer Schildwachter. These students and faculty worked tirelessly all fall to send us back to the summer of 1922. Many thanks to the hundreds of people who attended the performances.
Our Outstanding Cast:
Mark Bayne ‘10, Victoria Beamer, Samantha Connors, Rosalee Crouse, Jordan Harris, Colin Jones ‘10, Riley Marzola, Brendon McCarron, Bayley Rabenau ‘12, Amir Richardson
Andrew Stephens, Ben Strong, Adia Thomas, Shelbie Woodward, and Josh Young.
Our Outstanding Crew:
Victoria Beamer, Liv Ciola Butterfield ‘09, Peyton Clay, Grace Edwards, Sarah Franker, Anastasia Godat, Brooke Hoskins, Jonathan Makrodimitris, Lukas Mathews, Lyla Martin, Matthew Moore, Jillian Perez, Julie Reise, Anna Shertzer, Colton Smith, Tayla Stewart, and Jacob Williams. Faculty/Former Faculty: Mrs. Marcie Barth, Mrs. Cindy Chrysam, Mr. Chris Genszler, and Mrs. Ruth Heilman.
The Varsity Boys' Soccer Team Wins the MIAA 'B' Conference Championship
The Varsity Boys' Soccer team beat Friends 3-0 last Sunday to win the MIAA 'B' Conference Championship game. The team is now ranked #15 by the
. Read about the game in the
Upcoming Games This Week
- Thursday, November 8: Varsity Cross Country Championships at McDaniel College at 2:00 pm. NOTE: The Cross Country Meet was postponed to Thursday because of poor field conditions.
- Saturday, November 10: Varsity Football plays in the MIAA ‘C’ Conference Championship Game at home vs. Annapolis Area Christian School at 1 pm. Admission is $8 per person. NOTE: The gate is run by the MIAA, not Concordia Prep.
Out of Uniform Day on Friday
FREE Out of Uniform Spirit Day on Friday, November 9.
Wear your favorite CPS Spirit Wear or RED to celebrate all the exciting events and sports teams this fall.
Middle School tryouts for both boys and girls begin on Monday, November 12 from 3:15 to 4:30 pm.
The online store to purchase boathouse jackets is open. It will close on
Tuesday, November 13
in order for the jackets to be delivered by Christmas.
Warm Clothing Drive
The NHS is sponsoring a Warm Clothing/Coat Drive. Items collected will be donated to the Lutheran Mission Society. Please donate gently used hats, scarfs, gloves, boots, and coats. Bins will be located in the Upper and Middle School. Donations will be accepted through
Tuesday, November 20.
Middle School Fun Night
Friday, November 9, 3:30 – 6:30 pm at Monster Mini-Golf, Laser Tag and *NEW* Laser Maze
(Parents must pick up students from Monster Mini-Golf at 6:30 pm)
- Where: Monster Mini Golf in Parkville: 1969 East Joppa Road, Parkville, MD 21234
- Cost: $15.00 cash or check: (made payable to Concordia Prep School). Transportation provided from CPS for an additional $5.00.
- Includes: Unlimited mini-golf, laser tag, and laser maze, pizza and drinks!
- Dress: Halloween costume, or casual clothes that are neat, clean, and modest.
2018 Saints Bingo
The 18th Annual Saints Bingo will be held on
Friday, November 16
in the CPS Cafeteria. Doors open at 6 pm. Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Tables of 10 are $180. You may purchase your tickets online via the CPS website:
Saints Bingo tickets
The Bingo Committee is asking for a donation of $10 per child to be used for the purchase of prizes.For your convenience you will be able to pay through Pay Pal: (
, please enter:
Parent/Guardian name, Student Name(s), Grade(s). You can send a
check or cash into the main office.
Each child that has participated in the donation will get a pass for an out of dress code day to be used on 11/16/18 – the day of the BINGO event.
Any questions about this event can be directed to Cindy Hoerl at
; Meredith Hieber
Microsoft Office 365 for Students Now Available
Students can now install and use Microsoft Office 365 on their personal or home computers. Microsoft Office includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Skype for Business, and Access. Students should follow the steps below to install Microsoft Office 365.
- Open the web site: login.microsoftonline.com
- Logon with your school Microsoft account. (Each student at Concordia Prep has an account.)
- Username/Email Address: student's school email address
- Temporary Password: Concordia1 (password must be changed)
- On the main page, click on the dropdown next to "Install Office" and select "Office 365 apps" (a file will download).
- Double-click the downloaded file to begin installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and prompts.
- When installation completes, you will find the Office apps on your Programs menu.
The installation instructions will be the same for an Apple/MAC computer. Please contact Mrs. Amanda Trapani, Director of Technology, at
, if you have any questions or need further assistance.
2018-19 School Year
Friday, November 9:
Friday Lunch: Pizza for $1.50 per slice, supports the Snowriding Club
Middle School Fun Night, 3:30 to 6:30 pm at Monster Mini-golf in Parkville, MD
Friday, November 16:
Friday Lunch: Chick-fil-A for $4.50 per sandwich or 8 nuggets, supports the sophomore class.
Saints Basket Bingo: 6-10 pm in the school gymnasium.
Saturday, November 17:
Tuesday, November 20:
Wednesday, November 21 - Friday, November 23:
School Closed for Thanksgiving Break
Monday, December 3:
PTL Meeting at 6:30 pm
Tuesday, December 11:
Middle and Upper School Fine Arts Festival at 7 pm
Friday, December 14:
Monday, December 17 - Thursday, December 20:
Exams, Noon Dismissal
Friday, December 21 - Wednesday, January 2
: School Closed for Christmas Break
Thursday, January 3:
Monday, January 7:
PTL Meeting at 6:30 pm
Friday, January 11:
End of Second Quarter
Monday, January 14:
School Closed: Faculty Professional Development
Friday, January 18:
Report Cards Issued
Monday, January 21:
School Closed-Martin Luther King Holiday
Order lunches from Terri’s Cafe here:
Coca Cola Give Program
Giant A+ School Rewards
and sign into your account. You can register to support Concordia Prep