SEE YOU ON SATURDAY!: ACADEMY BEACH DAY
Join the ACADEMY for a fun beach day! Connect with current Academy friends and incoming Academy students.
Who: Current, incoming, and interested families are warmly welcome!
What: Academy Beach Day
When: Saturday, August 12 from 1-3 p.m.
Where: 1 Granada Avenue, near Rosie's Dog Beach. Look for the Academy flag to find us!
RSVP on our Facebook event here (and tag a friend to join you!)
GROWING OUR SCHOOL COMMUNITY
We have additional spaces in 9th and 10th grade for this coming year. As a community-based high school, the ACADEMY values looking to current constituents to help grow the school community.
If you are a member of a church, sports team, community organization or program, please notify your social network of the ACADEMY as a high school option. This is a good opportunity for any friends to join the ACADEMY!
For those interested, the first step is to complete an online application. Feel free to share the ACADEMY'S Facebook page for more information or contact Crystal Day at 562.283.4456.
EXTRACURRICULAR OFFERINGS: GETTING INVOLVED!
We will be providing quality and varied extracurricular opportunities for students after school. Students at the Academy run a number of clubs representing a wide range of interests and identities. Clubs provide students with opportunities to get involved in the school, meet new people, and to take leadership positions. Additionally, many students have gained leadership skills through the experience of founding a club. All clubs are student-initiated with the support of an adult advisor.
Read more about fall extracurricular activities here.
ACADEMY SPIRIT WEAR AND P.E. UNIFORMS
Students can purchase Academy Spirit Gear during the first week of school. Keep a look out for more information soon!
T-Shirts: $10 each
4 for $35
$10 for an Academy Bag
ACADEMY'S NUTRITION PROGRAM: BREAKFAST/LUNCH
The Academy’s nutrition program will start on the first day of school, Wednesday, August 30! We have organized several options including outside vendors for students during the 2017-2018 school year. The options are available at $2 for breakfast and $3 for lunch.
Eligibility for Free or Reduced Meals
The Academy will be able to subsidize the purchase of breakfast and lunches for students who are eligible for free or reduced meals during the 2017-2018 school year.
Eligibility thresholds are set by the federal government and used by the California Department of Education
. The Academy determines eligibility by requesting annual income data during the registration process (new students) and back-to-school forms (returning students). If the Academy does not receive a family's income data via the Illuminate registration or forms process, we cannot qualify a student for free or reduced breakfast or lunch. If your child qualifies, you will receive an email confirmation before the start of school.
Meal Ordering Process
- To order nutritional options, students will need to collect breakfast and lunch tickets from the front office before school begins.
- Students purchasing tickets can do so on a daily or weekly basis.
- Payments can be made with cash or a check made out to Academy High School.
- Students who are eligible to receive free or reduce meals will need to sign out the breakfast and lunch tickets in the front office.
Please keep in mind that this is a new program and we're working out all the details in order to bring our students a good service. Your patience is much appreciated.
SAMPLE NUTRITIONAL OPTIONS
Breakfast $2 (must arrive at school by 8 a.m. to order breakfast)
Choose one and a piece of fruit:
- Granola and Yogurt
- Bagel and cream cheese
- Monday: BBQ chicken sandwich or Orange Chicken and Rice
- Tuesday: Deli Sandwiches (turkey and cheese with guacamole or hummus) or Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Wednesday: Meat or Marinara Pasta
- Thursday: Deli Sandwiches (turkey and cheese with guacamole or hummus) or Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Friday: Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza
Choices with lunch
- Carrots or Salad
- Pretzels or Popcorn
- Apples or Bananas
DRESS CODE GUIDELINES
The Academy has adopted the following general guidelines to enhance student achievement, create a safe and distraction-free learning environment, foster school pride, and operate free from hazard or threat to students’ health, safety, and general welfare. We heard the voices of students last year, therefore made some adjustments to our dress code.
- Pants, shorts, dresses, and skirts, must be logo & words free, worn at a school appropriate length (where finger tips lay with arms by the side). Jeans can be worn without rips/slashes/or tears. Pajama bottoms can be worn only on the designated spirit day.
- Leggings can be worn only under other garments.
- Shirts can be worn without words, graphics, or a logo. Mid-drifts must be covered. If there is a logo, must be an Academy, IVA shirt, or collegial. Tank tops must have straps at least 3 inches wide.
- Jackets/sweaters must be appropriate for school.
- Hats can be worn before, after school, and during breaks. They must be taken off within the classroom. Beanies are okay. No hoods over head at any time while on campus.
- Safe and school appropriate. Sandals need to have a strap. Formal shoes can be a two toe peep. Shoes need to be on at all times.
School appropriate means: Safe, respectful, and conducive to learning. No sexually related, gang, weapons, alcohol, or any drug references on any item of clothing.
For questions on the dress code, please email Crystal Day or call the front office at 562.283.4456.
STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT NEWSLETTER:
- Announcing our new community members;
and New Student Orientation information
August 12, 1-3 p.m.- ACADEMY Beach Day
August 22, 7 p.m.- Movie on the Beach with the Academy Community: Sandlot
Look for the Academy flag!
August 28 and 29, 8:15 a.m.-1:47 p.m.- Mandatory New Student Orientation (all incoming 9th-grade and new 10th-grade students)
August 30, 8:15 a.m.- First Day of School and Welcoming Ceremony
Sept. 7, 6:30-8 p.m. - Back to School Night
Sept. 13, 8:30 a.m.- Coffee in the Cove
SCHOOL DAY HOURS
The school doors will open at 7:30 a.m. and class will begin at 8:15 a.m. The school day ends at 3:27 p.m., except on Thursday, which ends at 1:57 p.m. The Academy closes at 5:30 p.m. Mon., Tues., and Wed., and 4:30 p.m. on Thurs. and Fri.
AFTER SCHOOL STUDY HALL
Study hall will be available on campus Mon., Tues., Wed. from 3:50 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Thurs. from 2:20 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Fri. from 3:45 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. A teacher or tutor will be supervising the study hall during these time.
- 9th Grade- Individual schedules will be issued during New Student Orientation. Look for more information in the next newsletter.
- 10th Grade- Individual schedules will be emailed to your Academy email address before the first day of school. Parents will also be able to see schedules using Parent Portal in Illuminate.
Think outside the box!
- Intellectual Courage
CRITICAL THINKING VIRTUES
Look and listen!
- Intellectual Carefulness
- Intellectual Thoroughness
- Intellectual Autonomy
Think for yourself!
- Intellectual Humility
Admit what you don't know!
- Intellectual Tenacity
Intellectual Virtues Academy, A Long Beach Public High School
1637 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach, California 90813
562.283.4456 | www.academylongbeach.org
The Intellectual Virtues Academy is a public Long Beach high school, open to all students, authorized by Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE).