Connect with Tech
Eleven free ways to connect virtually with family and friends!
While it's difficult to be separated from our loved ones while practicing social distancing, we can take advantage of technologies that bring us closer together. Below is a list of some of the most popular free video chat tools that put the social into social distance.
- Facebook messenger. If you have a Facebook account, you can use Messenger to make voice and video calls over the internet. You can video chat with just one person, or with a group of people. Join messenger by visiting https://www.messenger.com/
- FaceTime is one of the easiest ways for making one-on-one video calls between users of Apple devices. You can Facetime up to 32 people at once. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204380
- Google Duo offers simple, high quality encrypted video calls for smartphones, tablets, and web browsers. https://support.google.com/duo/answer/6376137?hl=en
- Google Hangouts. If you have a Gmail account you can connect with your family and friends with easy-to join video calls https://www.wikihow.com/Open-Google-Hangouts-in-Gmail
- Houseparty is a social networking service that enables group video chatting through mobile and desktop apps. You can invite up to eight people to achieve a remote houseparty experience! https://houseparty.com/
- Line offers free international voice and video calls and is available for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, PC (Windows and Mac). https://line.me/en/
- Signal Messenger. Signal users can send private messages and make secure calls to other Signal users anywhere in the world for free over the internet. https://support.signal.org/hc/en-us/sections/360001602712-Signal-Messenger-Basics
- Skype, a division of Microsoft, specializes in providing free video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, and mobile devices. https://www.skype.com/en/
- WhatsApp is a free service that lets users talk or video chat with one another seamlessly between mobile and desktop devices. WhatsApp group calling allows for up to four people to video call with each other at once. https://www.whatsapp.com/
- Viber is a free to download app that allows users to make free calls, send texts, pictures and video messages to other Viber users. It works on both mobile and desktops and can be used to connect with people around the world. https://www.viber.com/en/
- Zoom is a communications app for video conferencing and meetings. Individuals can set up a free personal account and have meet-ups with colleagues, family or friends. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697-Getting-Started
Questions? We are here to help!
If you have questions about digital services (or any library service), please call 978-929-6543 and leave a message, or email us at
, and a library staff member will get back to you. Please include your library card number in your voicemail or email.