Good Afternoon Accommodation Community.
Similar to this morning's announcement from the Liberal party, signaling intent to support the Hardest Hit Sector, the Conservative Party has also released its campaign platform, outlining commitments to the tourism, hospitality, and events communities.
Among their commitments, the Conservative Party has pledged to activate the following:
- Canada Job Surge Plan: paying up to 50% of the salary of new hires for six months following the end of CEWS.
- Canada Investment Accelerator: getting companies spending money and creating jobs by providing a 5% investment tax credit for any capital investment made in 2022 and 2023, with the first $25,000 to be refundable for small business.
- Rebuild Main Street Tax Credit: providing a 25% tax credit on amounts of up to $100,000 that Canadians personally invest in a small business over the next two years, to get money flowing into main street businesses and create jobs.
- Main Street Business Loan: providing loans of up to $200,000 to help small and medium businesses in hospitality, retail, and tourism get back on their feet, with up to 25% forgiven. The following pages provide details of our plan to create jobs by:
- Taking immediate action to help the hardest hit sectors: The downturn has hit sectors like hospitality, tourism, and airlines particularly hard, resulting in a recession that has hurt women and young people the most.
You can read more about the Conservation plan here: https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/16102359/f8279981721e07a.pdf
Once again, the pointed inclusion of our sector in these campaign platforms is a direct result of the advocacy and outreach efforts undertaken by our entire accommodation community and should be celebrated. This is a significant step in the right direction.
The efforts of the Hardest Hit Coalition, along with our organization, in meeting with MPs from all parties have been amplified by a substantial amount of members. The BCHA is incredibly grateful to have such a highly engaged network of operators willing to share their realities and act as true champions of change in all areas of government.
We are in the process of developing a complete election toolkit to support membership in your decision-making process for the 2021 Federal election. We will continue to keep you informed as we gain information on the NDP and Green campaign platforms as well.
My sincere thanks,
President & CEO
British Columbia Hotel Association