Why here? The history
Unused since ’09, the Gainesville army property will have new purpose
In 1950, the property at
700 NE 11 St.
was transferred from the City of Gainesville to the US Army and the Army Reserve Training Center was built. Training operations took place there until the center was vacated in 2009 and given back to the City in 2011. In 2016, Phalanx Defense Systems moved into the former Army Reserve Training Center on the northwestern portion of the site. Stakeholder discussions on how to best utilize the larger remaining portion of the site have been underway since 2012—which marks the beginning of the neighborhood Reserve Park project.