Dear Library Users:
The Montclair Public Library will be closed to the public effective Saturday, March 14, 2020 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). We understand the impact this will have on many in our community who rely on us and our services, but we believe it is the responsible and prudent action to take. We tentatively anticipate reopening sometime during the week of March 30.
We will provide notice of our reopening on our website, social media channels, and through our email newsletter.
Here is what you need to know:
- All programs, classes, outreach, and events are cancelled.
- The Montclair Literary Festival, scheduled for March 25-29, has been postponed with a tentative reschedule date of Saturday, September 12.
- All items will have their due dates extended; we don’t charge late fees, so please do not worry. If you do happen to get a late fee in error, let us know and we’ll be happy to fix it.
- Customers will be unable to place new holds on materials. Holds that are currently available but not picked up will be available after we reopen.
- Our book drops will be locked; please do not return items to the library or leave them outside the building.
- Our staff will be providing virtual help through our chat service on our website as well as answering email. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions or need help from our Librarians.
We ask our users to wash their hands frequently and follow CDC instructions on
preventing the spread of illness
and receive accurate information on this health crisis from reputable sources
Additional information to help understand coronavirus and the situation can be found in the following articles:
The Board of Trustees meeting scheduled for Monday, March 16, 2020
will be held as previously announced.
Members of the public wishing to attend should enter the Library through the cafe space doors, which will be open after 6:30 pm.
We wish our users well and look forward to serving you when we are able to reopen.
Peter D. Coyl, MLIS (
Director | Montclair Public Library
Trustee | Freedom to Read Foundation