CORONAVIRUS UPDATE AS OF: March 16, 2020, 5 pm
Dear People of Bethlehem,
Grace and peace to you all, in Jesus name. In this time of fear and uncertainty, our prayers are with you, as we find new ways to be community in these days. The protocol of Coronavirus may place us physically distant from one another for a time, but distance cannot diminish the grace and hope of our community. I am hearing examples each day of the powerful ways we are reaching out to care for one another.
We are writing, once again, to share with you the decisions we have made as a Bethlehem community. Pastor Sam and I have been paying attention to all state and local protocols, as well as the advice of the bishop and the synod in these matters.
Beginning today, March 16
we will be closing the campus completely until we are instructed that it is safe to reopen. This includes worship and all gatherings and meetings. Both preschool programs are also closed. We will keep you updated on any changes. The church office voice mail will be monitored. Please feel free to call if you have any need. Pastor Sam and I are available by phone as well. The church office phone number is 760-753-1026. It is important to stay in touch at this time.
Virtual Worship Services
Worship is essential to who we are, and so deeply necessary in times like these. We will be recording Holden Evening Prayer and Sunday morning worship and they will be available on the website (
) and the church Facebook page. (www.facebook.com/BethlehemLutheranChurchEncinitasCA)
- Holden Evening Prayer will be available on the website at 6 pm Wednesday night.
- Sunday morning worship will be available at 8:30 am Sunday. A bulletin will be created for the website as well. Bring bread and wine to your family table as we spread the grace of this meal around North County.
Opportunities to Help
- Ocean Knoll Elementary School is asking for school supplies and games for their "Learn at Home Supply Drive." Supplies can be dropped at Ocean Knoll:
- Monday-Fridays, March 16-27 between 10 and 11am. Please see the attached flyer.
- There may also be opportunity in the coming weeks to deliver free lunches to students in their homes. We will keep you posted.
- The City of Encinitas is looking for volunteers to help seniors with driving and errands. If you would like to volunteer please contact Travis Karlen, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 760-943-2256.
If You Need Help
- If you are a senior member of the congregation or any member who is choosing to self-quarantine at this time for any reason, we have volunteers who are happy to deliver groceries, toiletries, medications or anything else you might need. Please call the church office 760-753-1026 or email Judy Foland at email@example.com.
- The young adults of this congregation who are home from high school and college have eagerly agreed to help in this way. Just another example of gracious community in this time.
We have noticed that, in this time of an overabundance of caution, we are also exercising an overabundance of grace and care for one another. God bless you all in this unique time. We look forward to the hope of an Easter dawn and the joy of gathering for worship once again. Until then God's grace be with you.
God bless you all,
Pastor Laura and Pastor Sam