Dear Villa Montessori Community:
We are writing to share the latest information regarding the COVID-19 virus, and our current plan for addressing this ever-changing health concern.
The Board of Directors for Villa Montessori held an emergency meeting today to discuss the current Coronavirus pandemic, and to determine how to move forward in the short term. The Board approved a motion to close the school for the week of March 16-20, in an effort to take proactive measures to help contain the spread of this virus. While difficult, we believe this decision is in alignment with Villa’s core values and supports our commitment to the greater good of the community. We want to assure you that this is not a decision we have made lightly or without considerable thought and consideration. We recognize and understand the impact this will have on our families and staff, particularly those who are most vulnerable.
Up to this point, we have followed the guidance of the medical experts at our local and state health departments in our approach to responding to the community health crisis. We believe that the decision to close the school is the proper and prudent course of action at this time. We will be reevaluating this decision on a weekly basis, with input from local and national officials and Board guidance. We will be communicating with you regularly about these plans. Please make sure you are reading all communications from Villa, and update your contact information with us as needed.
Since the school offices will be closed, if you have questions or concerns, please send them via email to Barbi Smith at
, and Barbi will be directing all communication to the appropriate person where possible.
Next week, we will be working on developing alternative methods of delivering instruction, in the event that the closure extends further. This may be accomplished through providing paper copies of learning materials and some technology based solutions for students in Kindergarten through 8
grade. We can also provide suggestions for continued learning for infant through Primary students. While these alternatives do not replace the learning that is experienced in the classrooms, they provide a continuity of educational instruction.
Also next week, we will have a vendor performing a “Clorox 360” cleaning in all school buildings, which will help us ensure the safety and cleanliness of the classrooms prior to students and staff returning.
UPCOMING TRIPS FOR ELEMENTARY II AND MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
We are continuing to monitor the advice from both state health agencies and our trip partners, and will make determinations about continuing or cancelling any scheduled trips as the dates for such trips get closer. Should we determine that cancellation of a trip is necessary, we will work with the related camps and vendors on the possibility of refunds for the school and for families.
TUITION AND FEES
As this is a developing situation, we need some time to determine the impact on each of our programs, and how we can work with our families on refunds or reimbursements where we are able. We will be sending out additional information on this as soon as we have made those determinations based on a financial analysis.
SUMMER PROGRAM REGISTRATION
We were scheduled to send out the information related to Villa’s Summer 2020 programs on Monday, March 16
, however due to the school closure, there will be a slight delay in getting this information to you. Please keep an eye out for separate communication on this topic.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR YOU
Thank you for your support and patience as we navigate these unchartered waters together. Stay well and we look forward to seeing everyone back at school soon.
Margo S. O’Neill, M.Ed
Head of School