Lady Justice has adorned the courthouse dome in downtown Upper Sandusky since the Wyandot County Courthouse opened in 1990. Over the past 116 years, she has witnessed historic trials, community celebrations, county business and the filming of "The Shawshank Redemption" - a 1994 Academy Award-nominated film.
In 2013, Wyandot County Commissioners William Clinger, Ron Metzger and Steven Seitz decided that the courthouse was in need of major roof, gutter and dome repairs. After a preliminary study to determine the scope of the project, an eight step plan with cost estimates totaling $2.5 million was completed. The commissioners established a courthouse levy committee to educate the citizens about the need to fix this beautiful, local landmark. County residents overwhelmingly supported a 1.0 mil levy that will generate $2,225,000 over six years to pay for the restoration. Over 300 people attended the recent open house held on June 12.
The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1830, formerly used as a temple of justice by the Wyandot Indians, while the second was a Federal-style brick structure with Doric columns, gabled roof and domed tower built in 1849. The current courthouse combines the classical style of Grecian, Doric and Romanesque architecture and was dedicated in 1900.
Wyandot County was formed from parts of Crawford, Marion, Hardin and Hancock counties. The county's name comes from the
Wyandot Indians and is translated from their language to mean "around the plains" and "dwellers on the peninsula."