Over the past 18 months, the attention of the nation was on the Presidential election, but to the 172 county commissioners, five Cuyahoga County Council members, Summit County Executive and ten County Council members running for office - the spotlight was on the grassroots of government right here at home in Ohio. As a result of the General Election held on Nov. 8, 47 counties will have 54 new commissioners, one county executive and three county council members. As of press time, two races were too close to call.
CCAO members joining the ranks in the Ohio House of Representatives are Cuyahoga County Council Member Dave Greenspan, who was elected in the 16th district and Wayne County Commissioner Scott Wiggam, who was elected in the 1st district. Congratulations to State Representative-elects Greenspan and Wiggam. CCAO looks forward to working with them in the General Assembly.
Commissioners Tom Dunlap (Huron) and Ginny Favede (Belmont) were unsuccessful in their bids to serve in the Ohio House. CCAO wishes Commissioners Dunlap and Favede well as they leave the CCAO family at the end of their terms.
Summary of incumbent status:
- 58 won (35 - R and 23 - D)
- 71 ran unopposed in general (56 - R, 15 - D)
- 14 lost primary (1 - R, 3 - D)
- 18 lost general (2 - R, 16 - D)
- 23 did not run for reelection (17 - R and 6 - D)
to view the unofficial election results.
Countywide Tax Levy Results
: 57 counties had 97 countywide levies and misc. issues on the ballot - 86 passed and 11 failed.
Summary of levies: Children Services - 4 pass/1 fail, Senior Services - 16 pass, Development Disabilities - 10 pass/2 fail, Mental Health - 9 pass/3 fail, Health - 13 pass/2 fail, 9-1-1 - 6 pass, Parks - 5 pass, , County Home - 4 pass, OSU Extension - 2 pass, , EMS - 6 pass, Library - 3 pass, Transit - 1 pass, Soil & Water Conservation District - 1 pass TB - 1 fail, Historical Society - 1 fail, Sheriff Operations & Equipment - 1 pass, Crime/Drug Lab & County Coroner - 1 fail, Science Museum - 1 pass and Zoo - 1 pass.
Sales Tax and Misc. Questions:
- Gas aggregation failed
- Sale & Use Tax (0.25%, 10 years, continuation) for transit - passed
- Sale & Use Tax (0.25%, 5 years, additional) for roads and bridges- passed
- Sales & Use Tax (0.5%, 5 years, continuation) for permanent Improvements - passed
- Sale & Use Tax (0.25%, CPT, additional) for general revenue - failed
- Electric aggregation - failed
- Gas aggregation failed
- Electric aggregation failed
- Sales & Use Tax (0.25%, 10 years, continuation) for transit - passed
- Sales & Use Tax ((o.5%, 5 years, continuation) for Sheriff and EMS - passed
to view the unofficial countywide tax levy results. Contact
Mary Jane Neiman
, CCAO Public Relations Associate, at (614) 220-7979 (888) 757-1904 with any additions or corrections.