With the coronavirus situation intensifying, it is becoming clear to our Canadian, provincial and local governments and corresponding health organizations that the
time is now
to take strong precautionary measures. And so, in turn, with much prayer and discernment, it is clear that the
time is now
for EMCC churches to take these timely steps:
1. We are calling all of our churches to prayer. Pastors and church leaders, thanks for calling your people to pray during this time. Our EMCC National Prayer Team will be coordinating a united EMCC call to prayer, with supplemental resources to follow.
2. We direct all EMCC churches to honour and follow current and developing government and health restrictions – in most, if not all cases, this will mean public gatherings, church services and programs must
to another format of delivery (online) rather than gathering together. We celebrate our pastors and church boards for the prayerful and discerning steps you have taken to this point (driven by compassion not fear). Let’s continue to be followers of Jesus who to listen, trust and obey; who encourage others by phone and social media and who safely and practically love our neighbours. If you would like some coaching on how to disciple others online and provide online messages/services, please contact your Regional Minister and/or William Knelsen, Director of Communications (email@example.com).
3. We will NOT be hosting public Regional Gatherings on April 16-18 at Country Hills EMC in Ontario nor on April 23-25 at CrossRoads EMC in Red Deer. Rather, we are exploring alternative virtual ways to connect as a church family this spring. Stay tuned.
4. Our Regional Ministers, with the help of other pastors, will seek to gather pastors virtually into “Pastor Network Groups” – online opportunities for pastors to be encouraged, pray together and be resourced.
5. We recognize that this global event will have a financial impact on our communities and the people we serve - we call our churches and people to generosity. This is a season for benevolence and blessing. We acknowledge that church giving will be affected in the short term and, in turn, denominational Common Cause contributions may be affected. Thanks for doing your best to remember the larger EMCC family and National Team. We commit to being available to you and to do our best to steward what is given to us, as you in turn, steward what is entrusted to you.
Following Jesus together,
The EMCC National Team and National Board