Below is a police community alert regarding a series of overnight robberies of DePaul
students by what appears to be one group of offenders. Please contact Area North detectives at 312-744-8263 if you have any information - a description of the offenders and their car is
Adding to this, just three days ago, a vehicle was stolen in the 2700 block of Lakewood by armed perpetrators.
Even more disturbing, this happened in the afternoon as a nearby school was letting out. Thankfully no one was hurt in these incidents, but, this kind of crime is intolerable in our community and, unfortunately, it is once again trending up.
Over the past several months, I have spoken with many of you when crimes occur near your homes or places of work.
These conversations prompted me to research and question recent changes to the laws concerning juvenile offenders, sanitizing juvenile criminal records and new protocols for setting bail that seem to favor defendants' rights over public safety.
While I have secured a promise of stronger police presence in our Ward, the other key component is that
crime must have consequences. I will have a deeper discussion with you in the near future about efforts to ensure laws are enforced to protect our neighborhoods.
What we can do as a community:
- Post "Neighborhood Watch" Signs - we have them in our office.
- Turn on your porch light and leave it on at night
- Pay special attention to any suspicious people loitering in the area.
- If you are ever a victim of crime, please do not endanger yourself. Give the offender your belongings.
- Call 911 immediately. Try to provide as detailed a description as you can of any suspicious person, including clothing and shoes.