Twenty successful tips to CrimeStoppers in December, 2019 led to 21 arrests and 16 cases closed. Awards totaling $7,150 were approved for payment to citizens helping solve the felonies.
For the calendar year, CrimeStoppers records show that thanks to citizens who call with information on crimes:
- 361 successful tips were approved for awards
- 386 felons were arrested
- Authorities were able to clear 276 cases from the books
- Of those cases, 22 were homicides
- $108,159 in stolen property was returned to owners
- A 12-month total of $148,850 in awards to tipsters was reached, for a record-setting year
“Overall, these numbers are above our average over four decades,” said E. Winslow (Buddy) Chapman, executive director. “We believe our message that we all — the entire community — must work together against crime is getting through to the public.”
The December crimes solved included six robberies, six aggravated assaults, five drugs for sale cases, and two statutory rapes. One fugitive wanted for murder was located and arrested.