Elections are right around the corner, and we have received a number of phone calls about voter registration and how to request a mail-in ballot.
The most convenient way to request a vote-by-mail ballot is to contact the Lake County Clerk's Voting by Mail Department at 847-377-VOTE.
Below are resources and links to help you navigate the voter registration and vote-by-mail process. Information provided below is from the Lake County Clerk's Office in Waukegan.
Am I Registered to Vote?
Verify your voter registration status on our
Lake Voter Power page
You may also request a ballot, view your ballot, and confirm your polling place from this link.
Can I Register to Vote Online?
Yes. you can register to vote online
The registration period for the online voter registration system will close at 11:59 PM on 10/18/2020 and will reopen on 11/05/2020
To vote in Illinois:
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- You must be 17 years old on or before the date of the Primary Election and turn 18 on or before the date of the General or Consolidated Election.
- You must live in your election precinct at least 30 days prior to Election Day.
- You must not be serving a sentence of confinement in any penal institution as a result of a conviction.
- You may not claim the right to vote anywhere else.
You may also register to vote at Cuba Township. Please call 847-381-1924 to schedule an appointment. Two forms of valid identification, both showing current name, and one must show current physical Lake County street address. Examples include:
- Illinois Driver's License
- State of Illinois Identification card
- Utility or service contract service bill addressed to applicant at physical Lake County street address postmarked no more than 30 days prior
- Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card
- Personalized check or bank statement
- Car registration or proof of insurance bearing the applicant’s name and address
In addition to one of the above, you may use:
- U.S. passport
- Military, employee, student, or welfare identification card
- Certified copy of birth certificate
- Social Security or Veteran’s Administration Patient card
- Civic, union, or professional membership card
- Check cashing, debit, or credit card
- Library (some) or insurance card
- Certified copy of marriage license or divorce papers
- U.S. naturalization papers
Can I Register to Vote by Mail?
Mail-In Voter Registration Form
is available for you to download. Completed applications must be postmarked or delivered to the Lake County Clerk's Office 28 days prior to Election Day. If your identity cannot be verified or sufficient proof of identity is not provided with your application, you must vote in-person the first time and present valid identification before a ballot is issued.
How to Request a Vote by Mail Ballot?
- If you are unable to request a vote by mail ballot electronically, you may call the Lake County Clerk's Voting by Mail Department at 847-377-VOTE.
Important Dates to Remember
- 08/05/2020 - 10/29/2020 - Vote by Mail Applications
- 10/18/2020 - LAST DAY TO REGISTER TO VOTE
- 10/19/2020 - 11/02/2020 - Early Voting
- 11/03/2020 - Election Day
I hope this information is useful for you!