Works progressing on Wentworthville Pool redevelopment
The $8.95 million redevelopment of Wentworthville Pool will commence in June following the closure of the current facility at the end of March this year.
The new 25 metre pool at Wentworthville will be an outdoor facility with the capacity to be converted into an indoor pool in the future.
Key upgrades to Wentworthville Swim Centre will include:
- Improved disability access
- Installation of a brand new 25 metre six lane pool
- Installation of a brand new splash pad
- Change room upgrades
- Upgraded kiosk facilities
The pool will remain closed in October 2019, when it would normally re-open, as Council completes the upgrade.
Wentworthville Swim Centre is expected to re-open in October 2020 in time for the 2020 summer season.
Family Fun Day for Cumberland locals
Cumberland Council is inviting local families to attend a free Family Fun Day hosted in partnership with Cricket NSW and Bowls Australia on Sunday 19 May at Civic Park in Pendle Hill from
10am to 3pm
The special guest of the day Josh from My Kitchen Rules, who will be running a healthy cooking demonstration at 12pm.
Other features of the day include:
- Newcombe Ball - similar to volleyball but participants catch and pass so it's easy enough to pick up the game quickly.
- Obstacle course for four to eight-year-olds kids and their parents/carers, including balance beam, hurdles, jumping spots, tyres/ hoop jumps, and poles to navigate.
- Basketball Shootout to test your hand-eye coordination.
- Action Zone for those that want to challenge their fitness with everything from bear crawls, frog jumps, jump squats to sack jumping, egg and spoon and heaps more.
Families attending are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch but Council will provide fruit and water on the day.
Ramadan Street Food Festival celebrates diversity
The Cumberland Local Festival will showcase a unique element of its community during the Ramadan Street Food Festival in Auburn on Saturday 18 May 2019.
Residents and visitors are invited to dine under the stars, when a one night only food festival rolls into Auburn, bringing a huge line up of food trucks and street food stalls, alongside famous Auburn eateries for an authentic Ramadan dining experience.
The festival takes place from 6pm to midnight along Auburn Road, between Mary Street and Beatrice Street. All are welcome. This is a family friendly event.
Work to start soon on Granville Multi-Purpose Centre
Early works on Cumberland Council's new $22m multi-purpose community centre, library and arts facility in Granville will commence in June.
The approved design builds upon the existing elements of Granville Pool, parklands and outdoor recreation facilities, while delivering something bold and new.
The multi-purpose centre will help address a shortfall of community facilities in Granville by giving residents a modern venue where they can come together as a community.
The design of the multi-purpose centre followed extensive community consultation in 2017, to ensure we achieve the right mix of community space, library and arts space.
The Granville Multi-purpose Centre will open its doors in 2020 and is jointly funded by the NSW Government's Stronger Communities Fund and Cumberland Council.
Petfest to launch on 2 June at Holroyd Gardens
Cumberland Council is preparing for a day of pet-themed fun at the annual Petfest on Sunday 2 June at Holroyd Gardens in Merrylands.
Dr Katrina Warren and her team of wonder dogs will be hosting the day and showing off their skills on the main stage.
The program includes:
- Main stage Paw Patrol Shows, meet and greets and activity area
- Goat Yoga at 10am and 11am with Eliit Studios where you will be joined by baby goats!
- Labrador Labyrinth - take your pet through our fun maze
- Pet Café - specialised gourmet pet treats and eating area
- PET cinema - relax with your pooch on the grass and enjoy an outdoor screening of Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups (2018) at 10.30am and Show Dogs (2018) at 12.30pm
- Pet Portraits - we have set up three amazing backgrounds for you to take your own selfies with your pets!
- Country Cousins - meet and greet some of our pets and working animals on the farm - baby animal feeding, sheep shearing and cow milking displays throughout the day
A prize will also go to the best dressed pet following a parade on the main stage at 1.30pm.
Friend Park Children's Centre renovations commencing in May
The alterations and additions to the Friend Park Children's Centre will commence in May 2019.
The project is expected to be completed in late December 2019.
Although much of the existing structure will be retained, alterations and additions will be constructed and the Centre will be completely renovated, modernised and include new landscaping.
Upon completion, the Centre's capacity will more than double from the current 16 places to 40 places.
Have Your Say on Cumberland Heritage Centre Proposal
Council is encouraging the community to have its say on the feasibility of a new Cumberland Heritage Centre.
This is proposed to be located in the existing Granville Library at 8 Carlton Street, Granville following the relocation of the Library to the new Granville Multi-Purpose Centre in 2020.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 8757 9481.
More plans, policies, programs and forums ...
Have your say on our ...
- Road naming in Merrylands
The next meeting will be held on:
Wednesday 15 May 2019, 6.30pm
Merrylands Service Centre, 16 Memorial Avenue, Merrylands
Library Info Week Launch Party
Join us for morning tea and learn about the Library and the many services you can access for free. With workshops, children's activities and free showbags for everyone - this event is not to be missed. This free session is fun for the whole family.
Monday 20 May 2019 from 9.30am to 12 noon.
Wentworthville Library - 2 Lane Street, Wentworthville
One on One Business Advisory Sessions in Merrylands
A free monthly service offered to Cumberland local businesses at locations across the Cumberland area.
This personalised business advisory service supports small-to-medium businesses start or grow their business successfully.
The sessions will be held on Tuesday 21 May 2019, 9.30am to 4pm. Each advisory session lasts for one hour.
Fishbowl Room, Merrylands Library, Newman Street and Miller Street, Merrylands.
Sessions are free but bookings are essential.
Auburn Botanic Gardens Open Day
Take a walk around Auburn Botanic Gardens, view the beautiful gardens and visit the animal enclosure.
Sunday 26 May 2019 from 10am to 2pm.
Auburn Botanic Gardens - Chisholm Rd and Chiswick Rd, Auburn.
Standard entry fees apply - Free entry for Cumberland council residents.
Free Energy Management Basics Course for Business
A practical one hour workshop for business owners and their staff on understanding and identifying energy cost saving opportunities.
In this practical workshop you will:
- learn how to analyse your energy bills
- understand how your business uses energy
- identify energy saving opportunities, including no-cost / low-cost solutions
- learn about funding options and resources that will help you take action
Monday 27 May from 8am to 9am.
Holroyd Centre, 17 Miller Street, Merrylands.
Free but bookings are essential.
Contact your Councillors
Find out more
Cumberland Council has 15 Councillors representing the five Wards of Granville, Greystanes, South Granville, Regents Park and Wentworthville. The primary role of a Councillor is to represent the people who live in their ward. They are your bridge to Council.
To find out the Councillors for your ward and their contact details please click on the link below.