Standards Based Report Cards for K-5
Parents who attended the curriculum night last week were provided a short PowerPoint presentation which explained the adoption of the new standards-based report card for grades K-5th
. There was a lot of new information presented and we apologize for the impersonal nature of the PowerPoint. The objective of the presentation was to make sure a common message was presented across the various K-5th
schools in our district. Parents are encouraged to review the
report card pamphlet
and look for ongoing information regarding the new standards-based report cards.
Parents with children in the district for any length of time have already been exposed to standards-based report cards which have been implemented in grades K-2nd
for a number of years. Parents are invited to attend a meeting at the Administrative Services Center on October 5th
from 6:30 - 7:30 pm to learn more. A panel of teachers, support staff, and administrative representation will be available to answer your questions regarding standards based reporting.
There have been many questions about how PowerSchool will report student academic progress. The ongoing accumulation of grades, over time, is not consistent with the philosophy behind standards-based grading and therefore is not compatible with PowerSchool. Teachers will be assessing student progress over the grading period and recording each child's most recent demonstration of achievement toward a standard, which will be communicated with parents.
Thank you for your patience and flexibility as we adopt this new form of reporting of achievement and learning behaviors which will best support the learner and more accurately communicate progress with parents.
Mark your Calendars for Antioch D34 Parent Universities!
The Teaching and Learning Department would like to invite parents to a series of Parent University workshops. The purpose is to create a collaborative community to help parents become full partners in their children's education. Each session will be facilitated by district teachers and administrators and will focus on what students are learning in the classroom. All evening meetings are currently scheduled from 6:30 - 7:30 pm at the Administrative Services Center.
Parent University Meeting Schedule (6:30pm - 7:30pm) at the Administrative Services Center
- October 5th - Standards Based Report Cards K-5
- October 22nd - Math Focus; Rigor, and Coherence. Understanding the Math shifts in the Common Core State Standards
- November 5th - English Language Arts (ELA). Learn about what students are learning in ELA and how to ask students questions about their reading at home.
- December 10th - Math Focus; Eureka Math. What is Eureka Math and how do I support my child at home?
- February 25th - Math Focus. How do I support my child's learning at home
- March 10th - ELA & Math; Growth Mindset. What is a growth mindset?
- April 14th - ELA & Math Focus; Tools to use at home. KHAN Academy and Achieve 3000