Antioch District 34 Standards Based Report Cards
During the 2015-2016 School year the K-5 buildings will be implementing a standards based report card.
The purpose of the Antioch District 34 report card is to communicate to parents, students, and others about the students' levels of progress toward the achievement of specific learning goals. It identifies areas of strength and areas where additional time and effort are needed.
Information on the Standards Based report cards was presented at the August 18, 2015 Regular BOE meeting and then parents received a brochure at their buildings curriculum nights and also viewed the 7 minute introduction power point.
What is Standards-Based Grading?
Standards-Based Grading (SBG) involves measuring students on well-defined learning targets or standards (Tomlinson & McTighe, 2006). An SBG system includes:
· Clearly defining learning targets (standards)
· Clearly describing the different levels of mastery on each standard (rubrics or scales)
· Intentionally providing multiple opportunities to practice knowledge and skills (classwork and homework)
· Intentionally designing assessments (quizzes & tests) that accurately measure each standard
· Formally reporting student overall achievement on standards via trimester report cards.
The students, the standards, and the assessments all work together to drive the teacher's instructional practices and shape student learning.
On October 1st the district will host its first informational meeting for the K-5 Standards Based Report Card. Please join us from 7:00 - 8:00 pm at the District Office (964 Spafford Street).