Ft. Myers Metro-McGregor Kiwanis
PO Box 61104
Ft. Myers, FL 33906
(814) 573-1251 Club President
Our weekly Face-to Face meetings and activities into May are suspended and potentially will be in June as well. Until further notice, meetings will be held online. Weekly updates will be sent via E-Newsletters and by email as necessary.
Upcoming club meeting dates/times:
May 26th-Club meeting 6:00pm via zoom
June 2nd- Club meeting 6:00pm via zoom
June 9th-Board meeting 6:00pm via zoom
June 16th-Annual Club meeting 6:00pm
June 23rd-no meeting
June 30th-5th Tuesday,
Links will be sent out each week and if you don't want to participate on screen you can just dial in and be part of it. Speakers and other activities will be incorporated into the meetings.
Here is a recap of the online meeting from this past Thursday night
- Our Division Council Meeting was held via Zoom. We had 10 of our club members sign on. Our club was host and President Lindsey did a great job! We had representation on our DCM from all Kiwanis levels (local, state, International and Foundation)! Thank you Steve Hess for leading the invocation. Here are some highlights from the meeting;
- The following clubs were represented: Cape Coral, Fort Myers Beach, Fort Myers Metro-McGregor, Greater Pine Island, LaBelle, Lehigh Acres and San Carlos Park Estero. Each club gave a 2 minute update on how and what they are doing.
- Mary-Lynn Desjarlais, Florida Governor-Elect spoke to us about upcoming education webinars and CLE (Club Leadership Education) that officers are required to take.
- Allen Yergovich, Florida Governor spoke about DCON (District Convention) and stay tuned as they are planning something virtual this year. He also encouraged us to take advantage of the membership waiver until October. He said our division (19) in Florida is ranked 2nd in the state in member grown (+36).
- Cathy Szymanski, Kiwanis International Trustee gave us kudos for our Kiwanis in Florida and to our division for all we are doing. She encouraged us to focus our efforts on retaining members and encourage them to call in during zoom calls if they don't want to be on screen. She encouraged us to "be ready to welcome kids back as they will be different and things will be different, this is where we come in."
- Bruce Boyd, our Division Foundation Trustee (the foundation is the fundraising arm of FL Kiwanis) reminded us of grant and scholarship opportunities and the ways in which FL Kiwanis raises those funds. Our club received recognition banner patches for 2019-2020 FL Foundation Supporter and Honor Club (one of 3 in our division) 100% Sustaining Members 2019-2020.
- Della Merigelli, Lt. Governor for Division 19 Key Clubs was able to jump on the call as well.
- Our Lt. Governor Tina Pegler shared Mary Lynn's goals for the upcoming Kiwanis year (starts October 1). She also gave a shout out to our division and thanked us for our efforts to stay strong during this pandemic. She concluded the meeting by sharing this video, please take a moment to view (turn speakers on).
|Michael Jackson - Heal the World (2020)
Our work as Kiwanians is valuable to our community! As our county and state begin the transition to reopen in phases please continue to monitor,use good judgement and t
ake extra proactive measures to ensure the safety of everyone yet help meet the needs of our community.
For those that want to join the online meetings:
Zoom is a reputable and safe online program. It is endorsed by businesses and organizations such as Kiwanis International. You can use your computer, tablet, or mobile device. Steve Hess has volunteered to help talk you through it, just give him a ring.
Dining book fundraiser; As we see restaurants starting to re-open, dining books are back on for sale. If you know of any restaurants in the book that are not re-opening or what their status is, please let Todd know. We need to get books sold to help us with projects for the upcoming year. Thank you to Ft. Myers Beach Chamber for promoting and selling them.
3rd- Susan Block
8th- Paul Weinstein
9th- Maria Montesinos
14th- Patrice Cunningham
25th- Trini Soto Garcia
30th- Everett Shell
1st- Karen Hurst
3rd- Brianne Lenhart
3rd- Lindsey Lenhart
19th- Sarah Kuehner
24th- Kim Berghs
Service & Partnerships
From the United Way Volunteer Center: we closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation. We understand there are many individuals in our community that may want to help. We will post here https://www.unitedwaylee.org/volunteer/ and in our Volunteer Center Facebook Group
March of Dimes; our club received a thank you letter for our collection taken up at meetings held earlier this year.
Aktion Club: Breaking News! Our Buddy Bench has arrived at LARC! Details are coming soon.
MS Support Group-
meets 3rd Thursday of each month at St. Hilary Episcopal Church.
SLP's (Service Leadership Programs)
Schools closed remainder of the school year
-(Karen Hurst) at LARC. They meet 2nd Tuesday at 8:30am, year-round.
(Agency temporarily closed).
CKI Club- at FGCU. (Stewart Ross).
Key Club-(Harris Segel) Collegiate High on FSW campus.
Builder's Club-(Barbara Hartman, Todd Adams, Ada Trapanese) Cypress Lake Middle.
K-Kids-(Kim Berghs) Littleton Elementary.
will be held online. We will let you know of any changes. Meetings now
at 6pm so others can join that can't login to meetings during work time at the office.
Board meeting June 9 at 6pm online.
Where/when we meet once traditional meetings resume: 11:30am on Tuesdays at Shoeless Joe's in the Crowne Plaza, 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers 33907
Delicious Dining Discount Book Fundraiser
Todd Adams, Chair
Youth Protection Helpline
"Kiwanis is a global
organization of volunteers
dedicated to improving the
world, one child and one
community at a time."
Fort Myers Metro-McGregor
President-Elect: Cathy Smith
Treasurer: Todd Adams
Secretary: Kim Berghs
Immediate Past President: Rachel Toomey
Florida Division 19
Lt. Governor -
Governor is Allen Yergovich
Governor-Elect is Mary-Lynn Desjariais.
The Florida District, comprised of the more than 240 clubs and over 7,500 Kiwanians within Florida. Florida is one of the largest and most successful districts in Kiwanis International.
President is Daniel Vignerom
President-Elect is Arthur Riley, Westminster, Maryland.
walk now a
June 24th- Children's Advocacy Center of SWFL, Bling & Bags Bingo. 5:30pm.
Rescheduled from April.
ICON-June 17-20, Indianapolis
DCON-August 13-16, Orlando.
Our club charter date:
July 23, 1980
Please save year-round...
Your old Kiwanis magazine to recycle in our member recruitment folders.
Aluminum pull tabs for K-Kids for Ronald McDonald House. To Kim during the school year. Cathy in summer.