During the Medicare Open Enrollment Period, Medicare members can:
- Do nothing and their Medicare coverage will renew on January 1, 2019
- Enroll in, change, or leave their Medicare Part D plan (prescription drug coverage)
- Switch from Original Medicare (Parts A & B) to a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C, combining Parts A, B, & D)
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage plan back to Original Medicare
- Change from one Medicare Advantage plan to another
- Apply for a Medicare Supplemental ("Medigap") plan, or change from one Medigap plan to another (members may enroll year-round; some limitations may apply)
The best way to enroll in a new plan is to call MEDICARE at 1-800-633-4227.
Medicare members may want to contact
The SHINE Program at 1-800-243-4636 (press option 3)
to discuss their health insurance options before enrolling in a plan.
SHINE (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone)
is a state health insurance assistance program that provides free health insurance information and counseling assistance to Massachusetts residents with Medicare and their families.
NOTE: Medicare members enrolled in a Medicare Part D or Advantage plan should have received an "Annual Notice of Change" in September alerting them to any changes in their premium, copays, drug formulary, or pharmacy network.
HDAP's CHII program can pay the monthly insurance premiums for Medicare Part D plans and Medicare Advantage plans that include prescription drug coverage for active HDAP clients. For questions regarding this, please contact our CHII program at 1-617-502-1700 x 5002.