Last week, Department of Transportation Secretary-designee Craig Thompson provided information on how the department intends to distribute the one-time available $75 million in local supplement transportation grants included in the state budget.
Funding split. The $75 million will be split between local government types in the same proportions as the Legislature had proposed dividing the original $90 million in the budget bill sent to the governor. Cities and villages are to receive 25% of the funding, counties 36%, and towns 39%.
The specific dollar amounts are:
Cities/Villages --- $19,039,500
Towns --- $29,291,167
Funding for the Kaukauna Veterans Memorial Lift Bridge is to be included in the program. The total estimated cost of the bridge project is $2.2 million. The state is responsible for paying 80% of the cost of this project. According to Secretary Thompson, funding for the bridge project will be accomplished by taking $500,000 from each of the local government groups allocation.
Project eligibility. Grants will be available to local governments or groups of local governments on a competitive basis for projects statewide related to:
- Transit capital and facility grants
- Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations
The program will pay up to 90% of total eligible costs with local governments providing the remaining 10%.
Project selection process
. The program will mirror aspects of the Local Roads Improvement Program (LRIP). The project selection process will include local government committees. The department will solicit applications beginning probably in early fall. The department will create a common form to facilitate application review. The department will balance awards throughout DOT's five regions. The Secretary's office will make a final determination of the list of approved projects.
Project delivery/Oversight. The emphasis will be on local project delivery with minimal WisDOT oversight. Grant recipients will be required to report project outcomes to the department. The department will provide funding through reimbursements as a local government incurs costs throughout the project until completion.
A six-year project completion will be required for approved projects.
We will report more details regarding the program as they become available.