Students who are interested in applying for history honors level courses should join the Google Classroom shared by teachers to complete the application (which will be in a Google Form). Additional information about the honors process can be found in the Google Classroom. The application is due by Wednesday, January 12th at 3:00pm. This application is for the following students:
- Students currently taking Western Civ that want to take Honors World Studies next year
- Students currently taking 300 World Studies that want to take AP US next year
- Students currently taking 300 American History that want to take AP Law and Gov next year
Students applying for Honors World Studies and AP US History should plan to take an Honors Placement DBQ on make-up day at 10:30am. Placement in an honors course is based on placement tests, semester grades, and teacher recommendations.
Students who are currently enrolled in an honors level course do not need to reapply. The following classes are open-enrollment AP’s and students wanting to take these courses do not need to apply for them: AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, and AP Macroeconomics..
ACT MATH REVIEW COURSE
DHS is offering an ACT math review course run by Mr. Brooks from the math department. This course is intended for students who will be taking the ACT on February 12 or April 2.
The course will run on four Wednesday nights from 7–8.30. This class will be in-person at DHS, but may move to virtual (Zoom) if the circumstances warrant. The dates are January 19, 26, February 2, and 9. The cost of the course is $199 and students should sign up on School Cash Online. Contact Steve Brooks (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Space is limited and there is a minimum enrollment in order to run the class. Students will receive a diagnostic test before the course begins.
2022 DHS YEARBOOK - ORDER NOW BEFORE PRICES GO UP IN JANUARY!
Order 2022 Darien HS yearbook HERE at the early bird pricing of $75. After January 21, the yearbook will be available for $95. Please remember to keep a copy of your order number. The Yearbook Club does not want anyone to go without a yearbook due to financial reasons. If you need assistance, please contact your school counselor.
SCHOOL PHOTO PACKAGES
Please remind your student to pick up their photo orders from Mrs. Farren in the main office
CDSP Did You Know Series - #5 - Darien Public School District Budget Process
The Council of Darien School Parents (CDSP) is the umbrella organization for all Darien Public School PTOs. Did you know that the 2022-2023 Darien Public School District budget process has kicked off? Each school’s PTO Chairs and Budget Reps want to hear ALL parents’ views about the proposed budget. Each school’s PTO Chairs and Budget Reps will want to hear ALL parents’ views about the proposed budget; they in turn will communicate these views back to this year's CDSP Budget Chairs, Stacey Tié and Deb Ritchie. CDSP will then formulate speeches based directly on collective feedback from parents so that the Board of Education can hear what is important to the community.
As always, PTO Chairs / School Budget Reps should be your first point of contact; if you’re not sure who this is for your school, please contact email@example.com and we will gladly connect you.
Important near-term dates to note:
- Jan 6th, 2022 @ 7pm - Special Board of Education meeting to present proposed 2022-2023 Darien School District budget
- Jan 8th, 2022 @ 8.30am - “Super Saturday” - an all-day meeting during which the proposed budget will be presented in great detail (snow date Jan 15th)
- Jan 7th - Jan 13th - PTO Chairs and School Budget Reps will seek input / feedback from all parents
- Jan 13th - Jan 30th - CDSP will formulate speeches based on feedback from all parents
- Feb 1st, 2022 - Board of Education Public Hearing on budget / speeches given
- Feb 8th, 2022 - Board of Education vote on budget