A NOTE FROM THE DHSPA CO-CHAIRS
Welcome back and best wishes for a happy, healthy 2022! We hope everyone had a wonderful break. January is here and with it brings the start of the Darien Public School's budget process. Please read the information below from CDSP that describes the process along with important dates. As always, please feel free to reach out to us with any feedback or questions and be on the lookout for more information in the coming weeks.
Thank you for your support.
Leila Buckjune and Antoinette Cowles, DHSPA Co-Chairs
ENGLISH HONORS AND AP LANG 11 APPLICATIONS
Application forms are available for 9th graders seeking to enroll in English 10 Honors and for 10th graders seeking to enroll in AP English Language and Composition 11. The application deadline is Friday, January 7th. Interested students should obtain a form from Mr. Janosco's office in the English department.
The History Honors process will open starting January 3rd (when we return from break). Teachers will share a Google Classroom code with their classes. Students who are interested in applying for honors level courses should join this classroom and complete the application (which will be in a Google Form). Additional information about the honors process can be found in the Google Classroom. The application is due by January 12th at 3:00pm. This application is for the following students:
- Students currently taking Western Civ that want to take Honors World Studies next year
- Students currently taking 300 World Studies that want to take AP US next year
- Students currently taking 300 American History that want to take AP Law and Gov next year
Students applying for Honors World Studies and AP US History should plan to take an Honors Placement DBQ on make-up day at 10:30. Placement in an honors course is based on placement tests, semester grades, and teacher recommendations.
Students who are currently enrolled in an honors level course do not need to reapply. The following classes are open-enrollment AP’s and students wanting to take these courses do not need to apply for them: AP European History, AP Human Geography, AP Microeconomics, and AP Macroeconomics.
2022 DHS YEARBOOK - ORDER NOW BEFORE PRICES GO UP IN JANUARY!
Order 2022 Darien HS yearbook HERE at the early bird pricing of $75. After January 21, the yearbook will be available for $95. Please remember to keep a copy of your order number. The Yearbook Club does not want anyone to go without a yearbook due to financial reasons. If you need assistance, please contact your school counselor
SCHOOL PHOTO PACKAGES
Please remind your student to pick up their photo orders from Mrs. Farren in the main office.
CDSP Did You Know Series - #5 - Darien Public School District Budget Process
The Council of Darien School Parents (CDSP) is the umbrella organization for all Darien Public School PTOs. Did you know that the 2022-2023 Darien Public School District budget process kicks off soon? Each school’s PTO Chairs and Budget Reps will want to hear ALL parents’ views about the proposed budget; they in turn will communicate these views back to this year's CDSP Budget Chairs, Stacey Tié and Deb Ritchie. CDSP will then formulate speeches based directly on collective feedback from parents so that the Board of Education can hear what is important to the community.
As always, PTO Chairs / School Budget Reps should be your first point of contact; if you’re not sure who this is for your school, please contact email@example.com and we will gladly connect you.
Important near-term dates to note:
- Jan 6th, 2022 @ 7pm - Special Board of Education meeting to present proposed 2022-2023 Darien School District budget
- Jan 8th, 2022 @ 8.30am - “Super Saturday” - an all-day meeting during which the proposed budget will be presented in great detail (snow date Jan 15th)
- Jan 7th - Jan 13th - PTO Chairs and School Budget Reps will seek input / feedback from all parents
- Jan 13th - Jan 30th - CDSP will formulate speeches based on feedback from all parents
- Feb 1st, 2022 - Board of Education Public Hearing on budget / speeches given
- Feb 8th, 2022 - Board of Education vote on budget