In consideration of the ongoing need to maintain social distancing and directives to not hold public gatherings at present, and for an indefinite period of time, we have spent the last weeks considering options for providing recognition and celebration for our 2020 high school graduates. We are all disappointed that we find ourselves in our current circumstance, and believe it is time to make alternative arrangements for graduations. As part of this process, high school principals have met with district leadership multiple times and they have also reached out to their student leadership, School Accountability Committees, and key community leaders for input.
The following is the plan for 2020 graduations
- A “graduation acknowledgment” will be created for the end of May. This acknowledgment will take a form determined by each individual school in collaboration with their seniors and staff.
- In-person graduation ceremonies scheduled for May 2020 will be postponed until the first two weekends in August (7th, 8th, 14th, 15th, with additional dates possible to accommodate the number of schools). We are hopeful that social distancing guidelines will be lifted and group celebrations permitted at that time.
nown planning details
- Locations: outdoor Jeffco stadiums or outdoor locations to be agreed upon between the school and Jeffco Facilities Department
- Dates: first two weekends in August
- If an August Stay-at-Home Order is in place, high schools will discuss rescheduling at a later date
Specific dates, times, and locations for each school are still being determined. Information will be shared with families and graduating seniors as soon as it is known
Our intention is to formalize these plans by April 17th and communicate the details soon after.
Charter schools may be rescheduling or modifying their graduation plans as well, and information will be shared with their families as soon as those details are confirmed.
We know this news is disappointing for our families with graduates, as well as for our high school teachers and staff, and most especially for our graduating seniors. We are proud of each of these wonderful students and are committed to recognizing their achievements as we are able in these unusual circumstances. We appreciate your ongoing patience and understanding as we work through the complexity of these arrangements.