Death Cap Mushrooms
Scientifically known as Amanita phalloides (a·muh·nee·tuh fa·loydz); this mushroom is a poisonous fungus. It's cap, the top part of the mushroom, may be white in color but it is usually pale green to yellow. They give out no distinctive odor or taste and closely resemble other nontoxic mushrooms. The toxin that causes all these issues listed below is called Amatoxin. There is no known antidote and it cannot be killed by cooking the mushroom or applying heat. The scary part is that a tiny dose of amatoxin is enough to kill a human and a single mushroom is enough to kill multiple humans.
Some signs and symptoms to look out for include:
Mild sign and symptoms:
Deadly signs and symptoms:
- Abdominal cramps
- Organ failure
It's always best to call your local poison center if you're ever outside and curious about a mushroom that crosses your path.