eNews for September 26, 2013
Big Red of the Rockies in Estes Park
Looking for a Husker fix for the bye week? Estes Park is holding their Elk Festival on Saturday and Sunday! While in Estes Park, stop by Big Red of the Rockies and visit with Jesse Kosch, owner and Husker punter for '94, '95, and '97.
Jesse is extending to Coloradans for Nebraska members a 20% discount for the bye weekend for in-store purchases. For those that are unable to make it to Estes Park, Jesse is offering free shipping for one more week for phone orders. Here's a Video from Big Red of the Rockies on September 17, 2013, 2 days after the flood so you can see what Jesse has in the store ready for you to buy.
To get to Estes Park:
I-70 to Central City / Blackhawk
119 to Nederland
Highway 72 to Highway 7
Highway 7 will take you into Estes Park
The Kosch family would also like to extend their appreciation to the Coloradans for Nebraska family! You've inquired about their safety, their store, have rallied with online orders, and purchased merchandise at Big Red of the Rockies mobile stores at two locations in the metro area for last weeks game.
Let's keep showing the Husker love to the Kosch family and supporting Big Red of the Rockies!
Business Partner News
Coloradans for Nebraska members can receive a $25 Sam's Club Gift Card when you sign up or renew a Sam's Club Plus Membership by November 30, 2013. To take advantage of this offer, bring the Sam's Club form found online
and your current Coloradans for Nebraska membership card to the Member Services Desk of your local Sam's Club.
How I Became Involved in Coloradans for Nebraska
by Wendy Frenzel, Coloradans for Nebraska, Board of Directors president
As I visit with people at our different watch partner locations or with parents of students attending the University of Nebraska, I'm often asked, "How did you get involved with Coloradans for Nebraska?"
In 2007, my oldest daughter decided to attend UNL. Heather was provided a foundation scholarship from UNL that was funded by Coloradans for Nebraska. At that time, UNL provided CFN the names of those students that were offered foundation scholarships so we were invited to a lunch to meet other scholarship recipients, their parents, and the CFN Board. I thought it was a nice program and a great way for my daughter to meet a few others that she may run into at UNL.
Then football season for 2007 came around. I decided I should go visit a watch site and watch a game with others and see what Coloradans for Nebraska was all about. Yes, both my husband and I graduated from UNL but we just hadn't become involved in watching football games either college or pro. That changed on that day when we visited the Park Meadows Fox and Hound.
The president of Coloradans for Nebraska happened to be at that location that day and spotted me. He asked if I would be interested in jumping in and helping the volunteers. Being the person that I am, I was up at the table seeing what I could do to help. What a great way to help a group that provided a scholarship to my daughter!
For two years, I volunteered at the Park Meadows Fox and Hound. Then, the Colorado Springs Fox and Hound location needed someone to take over because the family that had been the lead volunteers moved out of the area. With the move to volunteer in Colorado Springs, my husband and youngest daughter became involved and it really became a family affair. Late 2009 / early 2010, I joined the Coloradans for Nebraska Board of Directors and became president of the Board of Directors in January of 2012. Beginning in 2012, I began to try and visit all of the watch partner locations to meet more members, talk about Coloradans for Nebraska, and help out where needed.
Why did my volunteering extend to just volunteering here or there? It was about the people that we saw each year and the catching up about what happened over the summer. It was about meeting new people and rejoicing in their joys and sharing extra hugs when something didn't go as hoped. It was becoming part of a community, the Coloradans for Nebraska community, that came together to watch and cheer on the Huskers with the byproduct of providing scholarships to Colorado High School graduates attending the University of Nebraska. It was hearing from the students and parents how much they appreciated the scholarships. It was about giving back to an organization that cared and stood for so much!
To continue to be a strong organization and to become stronger, we need more people to join the Coloradans for Nebraska Board of Directors and volunteers. Its a great way to meet people. Its a great way to become part of a community. Its a great way to pay it forward or to give back. Its a great way to see joy and happiness in the faces of scholarship recipient families. Its just FUN! Email me
if you have questions or if you would like to share your wonderful skills with the Coloradans for Nebraska community.
How You Can Help Provide Scholarships
Coloradans for Nebraska Scholarship Funds
There are many ways that you can help provide scholarships to Colorado High School Graduates that want to or are attending the University of Nebraska. Together we can continue to fund over $40,000 each year in scholarships.
Some of these ways include:
- Volunteer to help at one of the Official Coloradans for Nebraska partner watch locations.
- Become a Coloradans for Nebraska Member for $25 (membership runs from July to July) at a watch location staffed by volunteers or online today!
- Purchase Coloradans for Nebraska Merchandise or other items for sale at www.Co4NuStore.com or at a watch location staffed by volunteers
- Donate Online at www.Co4NuStore.com or at an Official Watch Site
- Donate Directly to the Coloradans for Nebraska Legend Scholarship program which UNL matches - Just make sure you earmark the funds for the Coloradans for Nebraska Legends Scholarship
- Become a Business Partner. Email Wendy@Co4NU.com for more information
- Support the Coloradans for Nebraska Business Partners
- Order Merchandise from Nebraska Red Zone with this link and 10% of your purchase is donated to Coloradans for Nebraska scholarship fund
- Subscribe to Hail Varsity with this link and $10 will be donated to Coloradans for Nebraska scholarship fund.
- Participate in and / or Volunteer to help at other Coloradans for Nebraska Activities or Events
Dates to Mark on Your Calendar
- Saturday, October 5, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Illinois at Memorial Stadium - HOMECOMING - 10:00 am kickoff on ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU
- Tuesday, October 8, 2013 - Business After Hours/Networking Event - 5:30 -7:00 pm - Fox and Hound in Lone Tree at 9239 Park Meadows Drive
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Purdue at West Lafayette, Ind
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 - Jim Rose from the University of Nebraska, Husker Athletic Fund, will be coming to Colorado and joining Coloradans for Nebraska in Loveland at The Boot Grill. This is a great opportunity to learn what is going on in the athletic department, meet other special guests, enjoy special activities, and more.
- Saturday, October 26, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn
- Saturday, November 2, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Northwestern at Memorial Stadium
- Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Michigan at Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Military Appreciation Day - Drawings at volunteer staffed locations
- Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - Business After Hours/Networking Event - 5:30 -7:00 pm - Fox and Hound in Lone Tree at 9239 Park Meadows Drive
- Saturday, November 16, 2013 - Nebraska vs.Michigan State at Memorial Stadium
- Saturday, November 23, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Penn State at State College, Pa
- Friday, November 29, 2013 - Nebraska vs. Iowa at Memorial Stadium - 10:00 am kickoff on ABC
- Saturday, December 7, 2013 - Big Ten Football Championship Game in Indianapolis
- Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - Business After Hours/Networking Event - 5:30 -7:00 pm - Fox and Hound in Lone Tree at 9239 Park Meadows Drive
Football Friday in Lincoln
The Nebraska Alumni Association's traditional Football Fridays is now in Lincoln's exciting new entertainment district in the historic Haymarket. Join NAA at The Railyard, just southeast of Pinnacle Bank Arena, at 5 p.m. on the day before each home football game (except Iowa) for appearances by former players and the Husker Spirit Squad and pep band, some Sports Nightly live broadcasts, music, children's activities and more. Fans in attendance will have the opportunity to win football tickets, Nebraska Champions Club passes and Husker memorabilia.
About Football Fridays
Dates: Every Friday before 2013 Nebraska football home games (except Iowa)
Time: 5 pm.
Where: The Railyard - 350 Canopy Street, Lincoln, 68508.
Admission: FREE. Food and drinks available for purchase at surrounding restaurants.
Parking: Available (for a fee) at garages on Arena Drive and R Street, or at meters on adjacent streets.
2013 marks the fifth year the NAA has hosted Football Fridays. More than 2,500 alumni and fans from 36 states attended the events at the Nebraska Champions Club last season.