|
Dr. Dan McMahon '76 looked it up. The day that DeMatha first opened its doors on Sept. 9, 1946, the temperature was 95 degrees and the relative humidity was 71%.
This Tuesday, as mentioned in news above, DeMatha celebrated its Opening Year Mass on our 79th anniversary. We also dedicated the new Cross Center for Engineering, Arts & Robotics. The entire school community gathered outside to witness the dedication ceremony. Thank heavens the weather was much more accommodating on Sept. 9 of this year.
It's amazing how the school has progressed from just 18 students all those years ago to 870-plus students now and well over 11,000 alumni.
Since 1946, consider the following:
-- DeMatha has been recognized twice by the U.S. Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School for Excellence.
-- Our Wind Ensemble has been honored nearly 20 times, including this past May, as the nation's top Catholic high school band.
-- DeMatha has had a number of graduates called to religious life. Others have enjoyed rewarding careers in medicine, law, journalism, law enforcement, business, finance, education, etc. Numerous Stags have served in our nation's military.
-- DeMatha has won national championships in soccer and basketball as well as 227 conference championships in 14 sports. Several teams have been consistently nationally ranked.
-- Coach Morgan Wootten and Adrian Dantley '73 are enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
-- Numerous students have been singled out nationally and locally for academic, music, and athletic achievement. Four graduates have won gold medals representing Team USA in the Olympics.
-- In addition, DeMatha has had several teachers recognized nationally and locally. Nearly 50 faculty/staff members, a number of them alumni, have served the school for 20 or more years.
These are just a few of the accomplishments in the decades since 1946. Seventy nine years ago, classes were held in what used to be the monastery and is now St. John de Matha Hall. Today, the school still utilizes space in that building, along with the main school building, which opened in 1950 and was expanded in 1960 and 1990; the Brendan McCarthy '64 Music Center (1997); the LT (SEAL) Brendan Looney '99 Convocation Center (2010); and now the Cross Center for Engineering, Arts & Robotics (2025).
The remarkable growth and achievement down through the years makes for an incredible story. What lies ahead? Time will tell. So we press on, navigating the tide and the wind, always conscious of our past, always striving for excellence and improving upon what has come before.
|