Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award
The Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award is a graduate of the UNC NROTC program who has distinguished himself or herself in contributions to our Nation, the armed services, industry or business, the arts, philanthropy, or other social contributions. This is not a "distinguished member of the military" award, and the individuals need not have been career members of the armed forces.
This year’s recipient is Rye S. Barcott, UNC NROTC Class of 2001
• Captain, USMC, Human Intelligence Officer-Bosnia, Horn of Africa and Iraq
• As an undergrad in 2001, co-founded Carolina for Kibera, promoting youth leadership, ethnic and gender cooperation in Nairobi, Kenya
• It is still a major affiliated entity of UNC today.
• 2001- co-edited “Armed Conflict in Africa” analyzing violence in Africa
• 2006 – provided testimony to the Iraq Study Group & was published in Proceedings about the Iraqi Military Intelligence Academy
• 2009 – MPA & MBA from Harvard
• Currently CEO of With Honor, veteran-led cross-partisan movement building a coalition of next-generation veterans in the US Congress, working to fix our broken, hyper-polarized American politics
• Co-founder of Double Time Capital, an impact investment firm focusing on clean energy and sustainability
• Author: It Happened On The Way To War, A Marine’s Path to Peace. His personal memoir of waging peace while fighting war. 2011 TED Book Club Selection
• Numerous writings published in The Washington Post, NY Times and on CNN
• Commencement Speaker, 2018 UNC-Ch & 2007 UNC-Ch School of Public Health