EASTSIDE DRAFT SITE INVESTIGATION REPORT RELEASED
On December 15, 2017, Saint-Gobain’s consultant, Barr Engineering, submitted the
draft site investigation report
. This submittal met the deadline specified in the legal agreement between the state and Saint-Gobain.
This report is a detailed evaluation of soil and groundwater conditions around the entire Bennington area north of Route 9, North Bennington, and into Shaftsbury. The report was required in the Consent Order. Due to problems with drilling bedrock wells at the Bennington Landfill, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and Saint-Gobain agreed to revise the submittal deadline for the final report from February 15, 2018 to March 15, 2018.
The report states that the investigation attempts to meet the following site-specific objectives:
- assess hydrogeologic conditions;
- evaluate relationships and trends in PFAS distribution, specifically in relation to perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS);
- evaluate potential impacts from the former Bennington Landfill;
- identify some of the other potential sources of PFAS within the investigation area and measure background levels of PFAS present in soil and groundwater within the Corrective Action Areas (CAAs); and
- assess the measured distribution of PFAS concentrations in soil and groundwater against the predicted distribution based upon modeling of air emissions from the former Chemfab facility.
Although the DEC has drawn no conclusions from the report yet, the general conclusions Barr Engineering has drawn from the report are as follows:
- hydrogeoloic conditions are similar to those used in the conceptual site model (CSM);
- relationships and trends in current PFAS concentrations in CAAII soils and groundwater are not indicative of historical impacts from the former Chemfab facilities; and
- the measured soil concentrations across the investigation area are generally consistent with background concentrations and may also be indicative of localized sources of PFAS.
The DEC has just begun its review of the report and will continue a detailed review of the report up to the time the final report is submitted. Once the DEC has completed its review of the report, the DEC will prepare a summary document to present to the community. This document is expected to be completed by late February or early March of 2018.