KENTUCKY SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PIE
This was one of my Mother’s pies to make for special holidays.
▢ 1 cup plus a smidge of mashed sweet potatoes
▢ 1/2 cup salted butter, softened and beaten until smooth
▢ 3/4 cup light brown sugar
▢ 1/2 cup granulated sugar
▢ 1/2 cup evaporated milk
▢ 2 large eggs
▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
▢ 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
▢ 1/4 teaspoon ginger
▢ 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
▢ 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and then beat it all until smooth.
Then pour into one (9-inch) unbaked pie crust.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until center is set. (Cover edges of pie crust with aluminum foil if it is browning too quickly in the oven).
Notes from Joyce
· I like to refrigerate this pie before serving, but you can serve it warm.
· Use either a homemade pie crust, refrigerated or frozen pie crust. Any Flaky Pie Crust recipe works well for this pie, but a store-bought pie crust or your favorite homemade one is just fine.
· My favorite way to make mashed sweet potato is to bake them until very soft, peel the skins off and then mash them. 2-3 medium-to-large sweet potatoes should be enough for 1 (+ a little extra) cup of mashed sweet potato.
· Instead of baking them, you can peel the sweet potatoes, cube them, and boil them in water until soft, but I find they have better flavor if you bake them.
· This pie is done when it jiggles in the center just slightly when you shake it.