December 1, 2019
Dear Green Hedges Families,
As we head into December, I want to begin this letter with an expression of gratitude for all you have contributed to the wonderful fall we are now wrapping up. The time and support you have shared with the School and your children since early September has enriched the experience for all of us.
I would like to take some time to reflect on the many great moments we have enjoyed as a school community over the past few months, and look ahead to what awaits us in December and the new year.
- The Installation Ceremony in September, which brought together so many members of our community.
- A fall-themed and very festive DragonFest!
- The first place-winning "Lorax" themed float in the Town of Vienna Halloween Parade and the spirited performance of the GHS Jazz Band on the float.
- Grade 5 and Grade 3's plays to kickoff the drama season.
- The GHS soccer and cross country teams' hard work this season.
- A well-attended Open House which brought many prospective families to campus on a Saturday morning in November.
- The events of International Week and the diversity and culture students experienced.
- Thank you to the Chapman family for welcoming Montessori through Grade 3 families to their home for our first Parent and Faculty Reception.
There are a multitude of events on the horizon this month.
Tomorrow, December 2
, is Vienna’s annual
Church Street Stroll
. A family-friendly event that kicks off the holiday season in Vienna, the Church Street Holiday Stroll is full of activities for adults and children and includes free hot chocolate and roasting marshmallows at supervised bonfires. The GHS Jazz Band will perform at 7:40 p.m.
Thursday, December 5
, the McLaughlin family will host the Grade 4 through Grade 8 Parent and Faculty Reception -- a must attend event to add to your calendar!
Thursday, December 12
, the Winter Concert will take place at 6 p.m. at Green Hedges School for Kindergarten through Grade 8.
Grades 4 and 5
will perform their Instrumental Concert at a
Special Closing on Friday, December 13
Montessori students will perform their Holiday Sing at a Special Opening on December 16 at 8:15 a.m.
I hope you can join the Green Hedges community for these wonderful community events!
In the new year, we are hosting various community and parent education events. Stay tuned for more details about our Wolf Trap event on campus on January 10. In addition, The Parent Association will host Psychologist Heather Tedesco speaking with parents about fostering independence, and a viewing of the documentary film
I would like to thank all of you who have already made gifts to this year’s
Green Hedges Fund campaign, Works Wonders
. The Fund’s impact is sweeping, supporting everything that makes this school a great place for your children to learn and grow.
Finally, I have included the Major Dates calendar for the 2020-2021 school year. You will notice that we are starting before Labor Day due to the late Labor Day observed in 2020. In thinking about what is best for students and teaching, I know that more time in the classroom is what is often requested by our faculty.
With that said,
you will notice significantly less half days next year in order to enrich and enhance the classroom experience.
Thank you again for all your support and I look forward to a busy and festive December.