Hurricane Florence is Targeting the East Coast!
It has been pretty quiet so far this year in the Atlantic but that could change next week. The latest news from the National Weather Service has Hurricane Florence heading directly for the east coast and while there are still several days for it to change coarse, we thought it was a good idea to review some steps you can take to stay safe.
1) Sign up for your community's warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts.
2) If you are at risk for flash flooding, watch for warning signs such as heavy rain.
3) Practice going to a safe shelter for high winds. The best protection in your home is a small, interior, windowless room on the lowest level that is not subject to flooding.
4) Based on your location and community plans, make your own plans for evacuation or sheltering in place.
5) Become familiar with your evacuation zone, the evacuation route and shelter locations.
6) Gather needed supplies for at least three days. Keep in mind each person's specific needs, including medication. Don't forget the needs of pets!
7) Keep important documents in a safe place or create password protected digital copies.
8) Protect your property! Declutter drains and gutters. Install check valves in plumbing to prevent backups. Review insurance policies.