There are just over 50,000 students in Fairfax County who qualify for free and reduced lunch benefits. Their families can't provide the school supplies needed for each school year -- many have to make a choice between food and bills or school supplies.
Cornerstones and our partner, Kids R Fi
rst, are already preparing to help equip over 3,500 K-12 children in the Reston-Herndon area (Cornerstones' clients, as well as other local students in need) with brand-new backpacks for the next academic year.
It takes a few simple steps for you and/or your organization to help us make the 2016 Back-to-School Drive a success:
1) Register here
to pledge the number of backpacks you plan to donate.
2) Purchase new backpacks (no wheels or corporate logos, please):
- High School Size 20" H × 14" W × 7" D (the age where our need is greatest)
- Junior High Size 18" H × 13" W × 6 D
- Elementary Age Size 16" H × 12" W × 5" D
You can purchase backpacks online through
(free shipping to Cornerstones using Amazon Prime)! Keep in mind Virginia tax free school shopping Aug. 5th - 7th for your backpack purchases!
3) Deliver the backpacks on August 8th - 12th (Monday - Friday); 9:00 am - 5:00 pm to Cornerstones Administrative Office at: 11150 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 210, Reston, Va.
In addition to backpacks, our case managers are requesting donations of new underwear for elementary school age children again this year. We also welcome Payless gift card donations ($25) so our young clients can get a new pair of shoes.
Thank you for helping make the 2016 Back-to-School Drive a success!