Plant Nutrients-Getting Started
Most "all-in-one" type of
fertilizers have an "NPK" rating. NPK stands for
What does each nutrient do?
In addition to other properties, Nitrogen helps plant foliage to grow strong. Phosphorous helps roots and flowers grow and develop. Potassium (Potash) is important for overall plant health.
Organic Alfalfa Meal
Derived from leguminous perennial alfalfa plant used for pasture and cover crop. Primary benefit of this pleasant smelling meal is increasing organic matter, although it is also a valuable plant-derived fertilizer.
- NPK analysis is 2.8-0.29-2.4
- Contains trace minerals and triaconatol
- Excellent addition to the compost pile for nitrogen content and absorbency
- Roses respond especially well to alfalfa meal
- WSDA Certified Organic Alfalfa Meal
Minerals are VERY important to healthy plant growth.
Azomite rock dust is a naturally mined volcanic rock composed of over 70 minerals and trace elements that are essential for optimal plant health. The rock formation in Utah from which Azomite is mined was formed when volcanic ash merged with sea water an estimated 30 million years ago. This mixture of volcanic ash and sea water created a unique source of trace minerals and elements that moist soils are void of. Just like humans, plants require many minerals to reach peak health and vigor. Re-minerlaize your soil with Azomite and your plants will thank you and reward you!
Contains potash and other minerals from natural marine deposits. Excellent soil conditioner.
Greensand is a mined mineral rich in soil conditioning glauconite
BOTH of these plant nutrients are important for "heavy feeders" such as Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, Pumpkins and Squash.
From our blog,
Mary's Organic Plant Nutrients 3-4-4
- A complete plant food with all 15 essential nutrients
- Originally developed for professional gardeners
- Complex blend of natural organics provide complete and balanced feeding of all 15 nutrients
- Environmentally safe
- No sludges, hazardous or toxic ingredients
- Easy to use
- Works in gardens, yards, lawns, and soil beds
- Perfect for revitalizing soils that have been heavily worked
- Scent serves as a deterrent to common garden pests such as rabbits and deer
- Also helps accelerate composting breakdown of carbon based composts such as leaves and straw
Phosphorus is involved in many plant processes, including:
- Energy transfer reactions
- Development of reproductive structures
- Crop maturity
- Root growth
- Protein synthesis
Very important to mention, ingredients are derived from organic, non-gmo sources. All-Purpose VEGAN plant nutrients.
- Formulated to contain no animal products or animal by-products
- A blend of excellent medium to long term nutrient sources
- Add in combination with good organic compost to nourish your plants, improve the soil structure and encourage gardening
- Ingredients include soybean meal, rock phosphate, alfalfa meal, langbeinite, humic shale ore, azomite, Acadian kelp meal and greensand
- 3-2-2 formula