Downtown Syracuse Business and Property Owners,
With the long-awaited reopening of gyms and fitness centers, most Downtown Syracuse businesses are now permitted to reopen – but only if they follow industry-specific requirements detailed on the New York Forward website.
Has your business followed the New York state-mandated reopening requirements? Our “cheat sheet” below lays out the main points:
Reopening Requirements: Three Steps
All businesses – whether “essential” or otherwise – must complete the following three steps before resuming in-person operations:
View Summary Guidelines: Go to the Reopening Phase for your industry (please see detail below on how to find your industry) on the New York Forward website and review industry-specific public health and safety guidelines, if applicable, and,
Read and Affirm Detailed Guidelines: Where industry-specific guidelines exist, submit an affirmation form stating you have reviewed and understood such guidelines; and
Print Business Safety Plan Template: Complete a business safety plan to outline how your workplace will prevent the spread of COVID-19.
How do I find the requirements for my industry?
Find your industry on the bulleted list below and click on the Phase heading; when the website opens, scroll down to your industry and click on View Summary Guidelines, Read and Affirm Detailed Guidelines, and Print Business Safety Plan Template for your industry. Each industry has its own guidelines; if guidance has not yet been published for your specific industry, but you are permitted to reopen, please refer to the NY Forward Safety Plan template.
- Higher Education
- Pre-K to Grade 12 Schools
- Low-Risk Outdoor Arts & Entertainment
- Low-Risk Indoor Arts & Entertainment
- Media Production
- Professional Sports Competitions with No Fans
- Gyms and Fitness Centers (NEW!)
- Restaurants/Food Services
- Personal Care
- Real Estate
- Essential and Phase II In-Store Retail
- Vehicles Sales, Leases, and Rentals
- Retail Rental, Repair, and Cleaning
- Commercial Building Management
- Hair Salons and Barbershops
- Outdoor and Take-Out/Delivery Food Services
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
- Retail (curbside or in-store pickup or drop off)
- Wholesale Trade
- Child Care and Day Camps
- Lake and Ocean Beaches
- Religious and Funeral Services
- Racing Activities
- Auto Racing
- Professional Sports Training Facilities
- Public Transportation
- Sports and Recreation
What if I don’t know the industry in which my business is listed?
Use the Business Reopening Lookup Tool: Type in a description of your business to pull up results. E.g., If you look up “theaters,” you’ll see that “Motion Picture Theaters (except Drive-Ins)” industry (NAICS 512131) is still closed – so movie theater operators are not allowed to reopen at this time.