The City of Lakeway's Memorial Day service took place this morning at Lakeway Church. The service featured an introduction by Mayor Kilgore, wreath laying ceremony by the Lohmann's Ford Chapter NSDAR, special tribute to Gold Star Families, and featured guest speaker General Vincent K. Brooks, U.S. Army (Ret.). Thank you to everyone who participated in this special service this morning.
Residents will also notice small American flags placed along our more popular local roadways such as Lohmans Crossing Road and Lakeway Boulevard to honor and remember those who died while serving in the U.S. military. Thank you to the City of Lakeway Parks & Recreation staff for placing the hundreds of flags this week.
In observance of Memorial Day, City offices will be closed on Monday, May 31.
Memorial Day is also typically the kick-off to the summer season. As many will take the opportunity this weekend to hit the lake or travel, please be careful while on the roads. Lakeway Police Department and The Texas Department of Public Safety has this advice
for motorists this holiday weekend:
- Don't drink and drive (or boat). Make alternate plans if you are consuming alcohol.
- Eliminate distractions while driving, including the use of mobile devices.
- Check your vehicle to make sure it is properly maintained and always ensure your cargo is secure.
- Report road hazards or anything suspicious to law enforcement.
- Monitor weather and road conditions wherever you are traveling.
Finally, the Swim Center will officially open tomorrow (May 29). On Sunday (May 30), the community can come out and enjoy "Mermaid Day" to see real Lake Travis mermaids. The event will happen from noon to 4 p.m. Regular drop-in admission fees apply, and there is free admission for those with Summer memberships. Click here
for those details.