Dear Friends in Navajoland Area Mission,
Concerns about COVID-19 spread throughout the country, and many cases are being reported in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. Navajoland sits in the middle of these neighboring states but does not have any known reported cases currently. Please keep our elders, children, and immunocompromised people in mind as this virus can be deadly.
Today Bishop Bailey and Navajoland Clergy and staff had the opportunity to talk and take into consideration all available information and gather recommendations for how to respond to this global outbreak.
We understand that we need to work to slow down the COVID-19 and mitigate its effects and understand that gathering for Worship, prayer, and participating in weekly Navajo singing/study is the heart of our Mission.
In light of recent recommendations from various church and governmental officials, all in-person events, meetings, classes, and services in all of our nine churches of Navajoland, are suspended for the remainder of the month. We will reevaluate during the last week of March for Palm Sunday and Easter planning.
We take your health and the health of our Clergy in high regard and have made this decision to protect you and your family. We urge you to continue to exercise good hygiene practices to help stop the spread of this virus.
Please know that you are not alone during this time.
We will offer the following solutions to keep us all connected:
- Clergy will continue to convene by video or telephone conference.
- Worship Packets will be prepared and made available for pick up on Wednesday, March 18th at each region: St. Christopher’ Mission, All Saint’s Church, and Good Shepherd Mission.
- Morning Prayer Service will be recorded and available each Sunday in March on the ECN website.
- Bulletins for Morning Prayer will be emailed and made available in the worship packet.
For those who cannot get online:
- Even though you are not in the Church Building, you can be present with others at the 9 am service on the website or Facebook- we may not be together physically, but we are not alone in our faith or our Worship. Make sure you are on your Clergy's phone list. You can also send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written reflections will be emailed for each MP and made available in the worship packet.
- Sunday lectionary and MP bulletin will be emailed for each MP and made available in the worship packet.
- Daily prayers from our Clergy will be sent via text and over social media.
- For Pastoral Care you can call your individual Clergy for prayers over the phone. Call your church office for your Clergy’s phone number.
- Facebook groups will be created for your church so you can stay in touch with your church community online.
Keep our country, our towns, and our church community in your prayers during this difficult time. Prayer is effective. Please know that you are being prayed for, and we are doing all that we can to respond to this crisis with your health and well-being in mind.
-The Episcopal Church in Navajoland Communications