April 13, 2022: Georgia Dairy Farmers Resoundingly Approve Check Off Continuation
(News Release, Georgia Dept. of Agriculture)
Georgia Dairy Farmers approved the continuation of the $.10 /cwt milk check off to be sent to the Georgia Milk Commission (Georgia ACCM) by 98%. The voting period was held from March 1 through 30, and the check off is part of the 15 cents that is required under the USDA Federal Milk Program. The Georgia Milk Commission uses these funds for education and promotion of milk in Georgia.
One of the more visible programs is the Mobile Dairy Classroom, which travels throughout the state delivering the promotional message at schools and social events. The mobile dairy classroom's message to the public is to demonstrate where milk comes from and the healthy aspects of milk in consumers diets. The Milk Commission also allocates funds to The Dairy Alliance, a regional dairy promotion organization that manages additional promotion and education programs throughout the state.
RELATED: The Georgia Milk Commission will meet Tuesday, May 24th, at 10 am. All Georgia Dairy Farmers are invited to attend. The meeting will take place at The Perry Welcome Center, 101 General Courtney Hodges Blvd, Perry GA. (This is the road on the west side of the fairgrounds.)
Updates to Previous Industry Stories:
- The Georgia Raw Dairy Act officially passed both the GA House & Senate, and is awaiting Governor Kemp's signature.
- Mr. Shawn Dyal has been named the CEO of Southeast Milk, Inc. Mr. Dyal has a broad-based history of leadership and management with several organizations of the dairy industry. Before being named CEO, he was the Manager of the Farm Supply Division of SMI.
March 22, 2022: Study shows 29% of American Jobs Tied to Food and Agriculture, by AgDaily Reporters, posted at AgDaily. Sourced from the "Feeding the Economy" Website: Highlights include:
- 7% of the US Economy and 29% of American jobs are related to Agriculture
- Total Jobs: 43,464,211
- Total Wages: $2.30 Trillion
- Total Taxes: $718.5 Billion
- Exports: $182.91 Billion
- Total Food and Industry Economic Impact: $7.43 Trillion
For the Georgia economic numbers:
Scroll down to the map, click on the state of GA, access a pdf.
April 13, 2022: Ag Start-ups Selected for the 2022 DFA CoLab Accelerator Program, by AgDaily reporters, posted at AgDaily.
- DFA has announced its 2022 participants selected for its CoLab Accelerator Program, a 90-day Collaborative program designed to give proposed innovations access to mentoring on a variety of dairy industry aspects.
- This year's six winners include a new low-sugar chocolate milk, a nutrient solution for agriculture wastewater, and an on-farm IVF company. They come from the states of California, Utah, Indiana, and Arizona, and from the countries of Canada and Denmark.
The program has an astonishing 94% survival rate of participating companies. Learn more about this year's and past winners at colab.dfa.milk.
April 11, 2022: WH Reviewing FDA Draft Guide on Plant-Based Milk Labeling, by Kelly Lienhard, posted at Inside Health Policy. An indicator that the dairy industry will soon have official language on what plant-based and alternative milks may call themselves. (Note - this may be behind a paywall.)
Volatility & Inflation: Navigate to Sustainable Finances
April 11, 2022: How to Anchor Your Farm's Profits from Inflation's Pull, by Sara Schafer for AgWeb, Taxes and Finance Section
April 12, 2022: A Candid Conversation with a Leading Dairy Economist, by Karen Bohnert, for Dairy Herd Management
April 12, 2022: COVID will Change Rural America, by Urban C. Lehner, for DTN - Progressive Farmer
OTC Antibiotic Use Restrictions - June 11, 2023 is Effective Date; Will You Be Ready?
April 5, 2022: Over-The-Counter Access to Antibiotics is Going Away, by Maureen Hanson, for Bovine Veterinarian. June 11, 2023 is over a year away, but will be here before we know it - that is the deadline for many currently available OTC drugs and medications to only be available by prescription. In the meantime, make sure you have a VCPR (Veterinary-Client-Patient Relationship) established, and are in communications with your animal health retailer to know current developments.
For official wording from the FDA: CVM GFI Guidance Document #263
State-By-State Language: VCPR State Laws
Review/Background: Veterinary-Client-Patient-Relationship (VCPR) FAQ
Milk Production, Protecting Milk Revenue
April 6, 2022: Is Dairy Productivity Increasing?, by John Geuss for MilkPrice. In this wide-ranging post, the basics are covered: pounds per cow, components, and SCCs, with a look at comparing the various Federal Orders
April 8, 2022: Economic Update: USDA raises 2022 Milk Production and Price Forecasts, by Dave Natzke, for Progressive Dairy. A review of the April WASDE report with encouraging numbers for Dairy & Milk
April 13, 2022: Dairy-RP Can Help Secure Record Milk Prices, by Will Babler, for Hoard's Dairyman / Milk Check Outlook. Risk Management will be a key component of farm income stability in the coming term, especially given volatility as markets react to the Ukraine/Russian conflict, and weather and water challenges in the U.S. Make sure you make decisions with a full battery of information.
April 4, 2022: FMMO Modernization Must Be Done Right, an information piece by Jim Mulhern, CEO, National Milk Producers Federation. Highlights include:
- NMPF has created several task forces and working groups to address various aspects of Order Reform
- Jim Sleper, a former CEO of Southeast Milk and Dean Foods, is helping facilitate the process
- Since some of the co-ops are also processors, they will be working with IDFA on some of the issues in order to develop 'consensus.'
- Believes the process could become a multi-year process
The Talton Family Dairy Rebuilding After Tornado