Last summer, as we began looking ahead toward all the unknowns of Fall 2020, almost every conversation we had with members of our school family included the following: “But what about Turkey in the Ground? It may look different, but please tell me we’ll at least do something!” These pleas did not fall on deaf ears, and while we knew TIG2020 couldn’t be what it used to be (and will be again!), we knew we had to find a way to keep this tradition alive.
Here is the plan for Turkey in the Ground 2020 on Thursday!
Digging Days - Wednesday and Thursday. All students will still get to take a turn helping dig the pit as usual.
Food! - The TCA Athletic Booster Club will have pizza by the slice, salad, and drinks for sale. Click on the link below this article to preorder and pay for your food. Because this will not be a fundraiser like the chili cook-off, help our boosters by purchasing some cool TCA spirit wear they’ll have for sale!
Junior Class Games & Sweets - TIG has always been a major fundraiser for our 11th-grade class as they have traditionally sold sweets and provided kids games to raise money for next spring’s Junior/Senior Banquet. This year, our juniors will still have a few games for kids designed to allow for physical distancing (cakewalks, etc.) and they’ll still be peddling yummy sweets. Juniors will be selling wristbands ($10 for unlimited games) for the games after school next week to save you time that evening. Wristbands will also be on sale at TIG.
Silent Auction of Class Baskets - Bidding will be online with the link emailed to you soon. We will also be auctioning off the 12 turkeys from the fire pit. These will be ready for pick up by 10:00 a.m. Friday. Proceeds from this auction will benefit our annual fund which helps provide classroom enhancements and campus improvements.
Bonfire & Turkey Pit - The bonfire will be in its usual location by Eagle Gym, and turkeys will still go into the pit. However, there are a couple of important changes you need to be aware of this year:
- The bonfire area will be limited to TCA seniors and adults helping with the fire. Senior guys and their dads wishing to do so may camp out and tend the fire overnight.
- All 12 turkeys cooked in the pit will be included in the Silent Auction! Senior guys and their dads wishing to do so may camp out and tend the fire overnight.
- On Friday morning, we’ll go live on the TCA Facebook page at 9am to remove turkeys from the fire pit.
- Those who won a turkey in Thursday’s silent auction need to be here that morning by 11:00 am to pick up their cooked turkey.
- Everything will happen outdoors in front of the secondary building.
- Secondary lobby restrooms will be available.
- Masks will be required as usual at TCA activities (4th grade and up) for all attendees unless actively eating or drinking.
- The event will be “come and go” and not designed for individuals to remain on campus for the entire evening as in years past.
Homecoming, Eagle Dash, and other events have shown the TCA family’s ability to adjust and show flexibility in order to successfully and safely conduct many of our time-honored school traditions. Thanks for your part in helping us continue to do so!