New Guidance from Contra Costa Health Services
Drive-Thru Testing for First Responders & Health Care Workers
On March 20, Contra Costa Health Services issued a notice that drive-through
COVID-19 testing for health care workers
is now available by appointment only. First responders and health care workers who are not able to obtain expedited testing through their usual source of care or occupational health provider may call (925) 570-0978 daily between 8:30 - 3:30 to be screened. If criteria is met, an appointment will be scheduled. All testing will be done in your vehicle. Proof of employment will be required, please bring your agency ID or badge to your appointment.
Revised Provider Health Update
Contra Costa Health Services issued
Provider Health Alert Update
about COVID-19. Community spread of COVID-19 has been established in Contra Costa County, and a continuous increase in cases is expected. Mitigation strategies such as social distancing and isolation of sick patients will continue to be the most effective strategy for containing the spread of COVID-19. The situation is continuing to evolve, and Contra Costa Public Health will continue to post new developments. Visit the
Contra Costa COVID-19 for Healthcare Providers page
for the latest updates. The ACCMA will continue to disseminate this information to members, as well as post all updates on the
ACCMA COVID-19 webpage
Patients who are most vulnerable to severe disease and patients who may expose vulnerable people should have the highest priority for COVID-19 testing.
COVID-19 testing for symptomatic members of these groups should be sent to the Contra Costa Public Health Lab (CCPHL) for expedited testing
- Persons who LIVE or WORK in CONGREGATE FACILITIES:
- Skilled nursing, board and care, assisted living and other congregate senior living facilities
- Shelters, group homes, residential treatment programs
- HOMELESS PERSONS regardless of current status of shelter
- HEALTH CARE WORKERS and FIRST RESPONDERS
- Persons who receive DIALYSIS or CHEMOTHERAPY in clinic settings
- Persons who are HOSPITALIZED
Contra Costa Public Health has compiled a list of actions requested of healthcare providers:
- Identify patients who may have COVID-19. Clinical criteria include fever (may be subjective) and/or symptoms of acute lower respiratory illness such as cough and shortness of breath.
- Isolate patients with suspected disease and implement appropriate infection control including recommended PPE for health care workers.
- For priority patients listed above:
- obtain a PUI # from Contra Costa Public Health (or your Infectious Disease leads)
- complete the COVID-19 CMR form and CCPHL requisition form**
- send specimen with both forms to CCPHL
- Test other ambulatory patients through commercial labs:
- Send specimens to a commercial lab
- If COVID-19 result is positive, report to CCPH by submitting a completed COVID-19 CMR form (PUI number not required) by FAX to Contra Costa Public Health at (925) 313-6465.
- If you are concerned that an outbreak may be occurring in any congregate setting, please call the Public Health immediately at 925-313-6740.
** CCPHL will accept and run tests on specimens ONLY if received with the completed COVID-19 CMR, including PUI #, and CCPH lab requisition form. Specimens cannot be tested without a PUI #.
Additional Contra Costa County resources, posted March 20: