The Challenge, a good-natured competition, encourages people to use cleaner energy and teaches them how. It's funded by a grant from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, where I proudly serve as a board member.
- Go to Cleaner Contra Costa and follow the directions to open a household profile.
- Follow the easy directions to create your baseline energy profile.
- You can participate as an individual or group, such as a classroom, church, or business.
- Explore the site to learn how to take "actions" to lower your carbon footprint.
- The site is filled with tips on switching to cleaner energy.
- Many of the tips lead to cost-savings.
- The tips are localized for Contra Costa communities.
- You can check and compare scores.
Reversing climate change will take an aggressive move away from dirty energy (coal, petroleum) to cleaner sources--solar, wind, battery-powered electric. This can be as simple as walking to the store instead of driving, or as major as converting your home energy to solar.
Facing this can be daunting for all of us. Where do we start, what if we don't have a budget for an electric car or new appliances?
Cleaner Contra Costa Challenge is a great tool for identifying cleaner energy steps any household can take. It also provides immediate feedback on how even small things, using an LED lightbulb, lower your carbon footprint.
I encourage everyone to explore the site. Play the challenge, but even navigating the site is educational as well as inspirational.
As a board member of the California Air Resources Board and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, I'm committed to cleaner air and combating climate change. We need all the tools we can get, and I'm pleased to have the Cleaner Contra Costa Challenge in our toolkit.