I. General Election 2020 results relevant to the MPSH feeder pattern include the following:
· President: Joseph Biden (subject to vote of the Electoral College)
· Representative, US Congress, District 27: Maria Elvira Salazar (incumbent Donna Shalala defeated)
[The US House is expected to retain its Democratic majority]
· State Senator, District 37: Ileana Garcia
[The State Senate will continue to have a Republican majority, but not a supermajority]
· State Representative, District 114: Demi Busatta Cabrera
· State Representative, District 115: Vance Aloupis (reelected)
· State Representative, District 117: Kevin Chambliss
[The State House will continue to have a sizeable Republican majority, but not a supermajority]
· County Mayor: Daniella Levine Cava
· County Commission, District 7: Raquel Regalado
· County Commission, District 8: vacant—Commissioner to be appointed or Special Election to be scheduled
· County Commission, District 9: Kionne McGhee
· School Board Member, District 9: Luisa Santos
· Pinecrest Councilmembers: Anna Hochkammer (reelected), Shannon Del Prado
· Palmetto Bay Councilmember: Steve Cody
· Palmetto Bay Vice Mayor: runoff December 1 between Leanne Tellam and Ed Silva
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT EACH ELECTED OFFICIAL BE INVITED TO ATTEND A MPSH PTSA MEETING.
II. State Board of Education
The State Board of Education will meet at 9 am on Wednesday, November 18 in Tallahassee. On the agenda will be a report from Education Commissioner Corcoran and a presentation on the “rigor gap” between Florida students’ declining performance on the NAEP and the course grades they receive.
III. State Legislature
The Legislature will meet for an organizational session on November 17, and will hold 5 committee weeks beginning in January (January 11-15; January 25-29; February 1-5; February 8-12; February 15-19). The 2021 Legislative Session itself is slated to begin on March 2.
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT CONSTITUENTS APPROACH LEGISLATORS NOW WITH ANY REQUESTS FOR BILL LANGUAGE OR SPECIAL PROJECTS.
IV. Florida PTA Legislative Conference
Scheduled for March 21-23; whether via Zoom or in person in Tallahassee will be determined by as yet to be announced COVID-related rules for Capitol visits and live public comments.
V. MDCC PTA/PTSA Presents Superintendent’s Q & A Forum
Rescheduled for December 1.
VI. Pinecrest—Mayor’s Education Advisory Council
December 8, 9:15 am, via Zoom. Contact Nancy Lawther at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
VII. Heads Up: Governor Ron DeSantis/Commissioner Corcoran are expected to announce plans for universal return to brick and mortar instruction later this month.