Dear ECA Faculty and Staff,
Today, Governor Tom Wolf announced that
all K-12 Pennsylvania schools will be closed for 10 business days effective Monday, March 16.
The Wolf Administration will continue to monitor COVID-19 in Pennsylvania and at the end of 10 days will reevaluate and decide whether continued closure is needed.
All three Eden Christian Academy campuses will be closed from Monday, March 16, through Friday, March 27
All after-school, athletic, and extracurricular activities are cancelled during that time.
All faculty and staff should report to work as normal during this time.
In light of this announcement,
ECA will implement Distance Learning for the period of time that the school is closed.
As we move into the Distance Learning Plan
, please make note:
- On Thursday, March 12, students were reminded to take everything home with them that they would need to resume classes or work online. This included laptops, tablets, chargers, textbooks, notebooks, binders, work files, etc.
- If you do not have adequate technology or internet access in your home, please contact your child's campus principal.
- Your family will want to discuss how the distance learning plan will impact your family and daily home life (e.g. child care, supporting student online learning, etc.).
DISTANCE LEARNING PLAN
Distance learning may take different forms depending on grade level and subject area, and learning experiences will vary in ways that are developmentally appropriate and instructionally feasible. Our goal is to deliver curricular content in a way that is accessible to all students while maintaining student-teacher relationships and a sense of community.
- We realize that families will be working on their own arrangements to adjust to this situation. Please advise us if there are extenuating circumstances that we need to be aware of.
- Upper School online instruction with assignments will begin on Monday, March 16.
- Early Childhood/Elementary School (Berkeley Hills and Wexford) online instruction with assignments will begin on Wednesday, March 18.
Materials Needed by Grade
- Grades Preschool – Grade 6: classroom supplies, books, binders/notebooks, internet access, parent support
- Grades 7-12: books, binders/notebooks, computer/laptop, school-issued iPad, internet access
Note: A smartphone will not be a sufficient learning device.
Early Childhood/Elementary grades Preschool-Grade 6
- On Monday, March 16, parents will receive an email from their child’s classroom teacher outlining the specific plan for remote learning for that classroom.
- On Tuesday, March 17, the elementary campuses (Berkeley Hills and Wexford) will be open from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm to allow parents to pick up printed packets only if instructed to do so by your child’s classroom teacher.
- Online instruction with assignments will begin on Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
- Online learning will consist of developmentally appropriate activities for each grade level.
Upper School grades 7-12
- Online instruction with assignments will begin on Monday, March 16, 2020.
- The Mt. Nebo Campus will be open on Monday, March 16, from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm to allow students to pick up any needed materials or to make copies.
- Class assignments and instructions will be emailed to students before 8:30 am each school day.
- Students are expected to check their ECA email and RenWeb accounts at 8:30 am each school day.
- Classes will run from 8:30-3:05 each day with a 5 minute break between classes and a 45 minute lunch. The class schedule will be:
- Period 1: 8:30-9:15
- Period 2: 9:20-10:05
- Period 3: 10:10-10:55
- Period 4: 11:00-11:45
- Lunch: 11:50-12:35
- Period 5: 12:40-1:25
- Period 6: 1:30-2:15
- Period 7: 2:20-3:05
- Lessons will include instruction and the use of Showbie, Educreations, YouTube, and Khan Academy.
Athletics & Activities
All after-school activities, athletics, and events are canceled between March 16 and March 27.
We will continue to disseminate information and resources to you as this situation continues to evolve.
While it will be challenging for our community to be apart physically for this time and disappointing for students to miss some of the long-anticipated spring events, we are committed to the health and safety of our students and the greater Eden community.
Along with you, we are thankful that we stand in the assurance of the unchanging Word of God. Romans 8:37-38 tells us,
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,
neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
A hallmark of the Eden Family is our united faith, courage through challenges, and love and care for one another. We are confident of the strength of these bonds in the coming days.
We are praying for your family and for the many who are suffering around the world.