Dear Lovejoy Community:
It is time for us to prepare school calendars for the next two school years: 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. The administration will take the recommended calendars to our Board of Trustees for approval on February 20. As our practice has been, we are reaching out to you for input in order to create calendars yielding the greatest satisfaction among all Lovejoy ISD stakeholders. You will find a link to the survey below.
As your superintendent, I will work to preserve a calendar that is in the best interest of both teaching/learning and a calendar that facilitates student attendance, which generates state funding. Please find some considerations, which will influence our decision-making:
- For instructional reasons, all school weeks must have a minimum of three attendance days with four days as the preference.
- Holidays such as Christmas must allow enough travel time for families so that we do not see a decreased attendance rate on the last school day prior to a holiday e.g. Friday before Christmas break.
- The start of the school year must allow sufficient days for teacher professional development and teacher workdays to ensure we are ready for school to begin.
- Student holidays will be aligned to traditional holidays such as Columbus Day when practical.
- Single student holidays must be strategically placed to allow appropriate teacher planning to support the instructional calendar e.g. a student holiday on the Monday after Thanksgiving would not be a good time for teacher planning as the semester is almost over.
Please find the proposed calendars for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years shown below. You may
to access a printable version of the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 drafts. In general, these calendars are based on the current 2018-2019 calendar. You may
to access the current calendar.