Essential services list
Some members have asked for clarification on if their business is considered an essential service and if they can remain open during this time.
Businesses + services on the Government of Alberta’s essential services list
can continue to provide services at locations accessible to the public. They must have proper risk mitigation measures in place, such as sanitation stations and appropriate distancing between customers.View the list of essential services + businesses
Businesses not on the list
If a business is not listed as an essential service, it can still continue to operate if:
- it is not specifically prohibited from offering services in a location accessible to the public
- the business doesn’t fall under previous business, workplace and facility closures
A business must still follow all other public health orders and guidelines, including maintaining physical distancing, and prohibiting people from coming to work sick.
Workplaces that are not otherwise restricted or ordered to close can have more than 15 workers on a work site as long as they follow all public health guidelines, including physical distancing measures. Employers should:
• self-assess and find alternate ways to organize large group meetings
• cancel workplace gatherings of 15 + people in a single space (such as training events)
• employ mitigation strategies to limit risk
• continue business continuity planning to prepare critical operations for any potential interruption.