Empire State College Extends Pass/No Pass Grading Option
For the spring 2020 term, undergraduate students will be given the opportunity to select the pass/no-pass option, rather than a letter grade, for some or all courses in which you are enrolled this term.
Nursing courses are excluded
. Students who wish to choose the pass/no-pass option will be able to do so up to the last day of the term. A pass/no-pass outcome is not calculated in your academic grade point average (GPA), but may have other consequences, including for financial aid.
Once a student has elected this option, it is not revocable. Therefore,
please carefully weigh the following considerations:
- Graduate schools may require a grade in certain courses.
- A no-pass outcome may have implications for financial aid; please contact the Student Information Center at email@example.com or 1-800-847-3000 ext. 2285 before choosing this option.
- You may be able to repeat the course for a better grade and eliminate the first grade from the GPA calculation.
- A no-pass may affect transfer credits. SUNY General Education courses need a “C or better” to transfer to another SUNY school. If a SUNY ESC general education course is passed, it will meet the general education criteria but the credits may not transfer. It is the prerogative of the SUNY institution to accept Pass general education credits.
- If you are in your last term before you complete your degree or need to raise your GPA, please be aware of how this will affect your GPA.
Important Information for Military and Veterans
- Students using VA funding cannot change to pass/no-pass. If you have questions, contact VCO@esc.edu.
- Students using military tuition assistance should contact the Military Accounts Coordinator (Kimberly.Durant@esc.edu) before altering grade selection.
How to Change Your Grading Option for Spring 2020
For the courses in which you are registered for Spring 2020 that have not yet been graded, you may adjust your grading option on a course-by-course basis until the last day of the of term. Unless the course section is set up by the instructor as pass/no-pass, the default is that a letter grade will be awarded for the course. Remember nursing courses are letter grade only, so you will not be able to adjust those.
Take the following steps if you would like to change your grading option:
- Go to MyESC (https://my.esc.edu).
- Click on the Registration and Course Offerings icon.
- Click on “Begin or Modify Registration” and log in.
- Select the term for registration.
- Click on the “Schedule and Options” tab.
- In the Grade Mode column, select either Pass/No Pass or Standard Letter from drop down.
- Click the “Submit” button located on the bottom right of the screen.